3D printing a trueSpace model?

frank
Senior Chief Petty Officer

3D printing a trueSpace model?

Post by frank »

Hey guys! I’m hoping to 3D print a model from trueSpace6/7. Haven’t got a printer yet (planning to get a resin-based) but am curious as to whether I’ll have to learn a new design tool, or if I can simply export (STL?) and use a supplied slicer software to prep for printing.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!
frank

Re: 3D printing a trueSpace model?

Post by frank »

Sorry! I don’t mean 3D print FROM trueSpace. Just making sure trueSpace is still even suitable for modeling something to THEN export (STL?) and print using supplied software.
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

i think there is a guy that prints stuff from tS regularly. He is on the forum somewhere around, cant remember his nick. He has some thread about printing. So i guess its possible.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

I used to 3D print models and even professionally that were made with trueSpace. I made a housing (rain cover basically) for a company that made GPS/GSM tracking modules.
pic2.jpg
One is 3D printed (bottom), the other injection moulded in China(top).

Another 3d printed project made with trueSpace:
vortexe3dprint.jpg
IMG_20160630_102507.jpg

Thing is though, I wouldn't necessarily recommend using trueSpace for 3D printing. There are far more efficient and more professional solutions out there that are also free.
I would recommend looking at Onshape which is both online and free, no download needed.
Fusion 360 by Autodesk is also free (it was last time I used it anyway) and pretty straight forward to use.

Hope this helps :)
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

I do printing with à single extruder Witbox from Moi3d!
SDS shapes are exported from Silo Blender original TS
Into Moi3d!
frank

Post by frank »

Thank you all very much!
Super helpful. I’ll give it a shot, and also look into the free tools mentioned.

When exporting, say, from trueSpace, I’m assuming I’d have to smooth quad divide repeatedly to get a higher resolution / smoother finished surface. Correct?
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Well Ok!
Need to start to explain a bit..but its a little longish..so sorry for that!
Basically you have 2 options!
First additive extruder or double extruder models...or resin based models!
Resin based have smoother surfaces and do finer printings!
Extruder based are a bit rougher!
Downside of resin based is you have to work with the tool constantly....its much dearer...!
Here you have 2 options...!
The ones with the big fill tank...that take up ..up to a gallon of fluid...and the other one with the upside down tank!
Upside down tank uses much less fluid but cures the resin not from top but from bottom! That one is from a company called Formlabs!
Downside..not only fluid price but printer costs 3500$ upwards!
Here again depending on the fluid..you have more or less toxic fluids! There are a few now that are not toxic.even.for use with food!
Much lower priced are the ones that use extruders!
Here you have single..or double extruder..or even multiextruder printers!
With double extruder you can use 2 materials!
One ist the actual build material..second is a material that you can use for support! The support material can be washed out...after the print...or in case of wax...disolved..or melted!
Why support material? Well normally with extruder tools you cant do printing of overhangs! You have to make small support rods..that you break away after the print process!
Printing can be done with PLA or with ABS! PLA is non toxic and is biodegradable! Abs is toxic and it lasts for ages ..hundreds of years...! Very tough material! Lego bricks...or helmets are made out of ABS! PLA starts to crack up after 10 years! The more its exposed to UV light! The downside of ABS is you need high nozzel temperature..230 deg Celsius..and a heat bed!!!!
If you use PLA and want durable....you need to make a mold and inject ie epoxy etc! Or you do..plastic injection method!
In order to smooth out an object you can..sand it down..or use a filler to smooth the print or in case of ABS use aceton solvent!
But be carefull toxic and highly explosive! For PLA you can if you buy a special brand...Polymaker....smooth it out in an alcohol chamber called polysmooth!
Do yourself a favor and get a cad software for printing! I use Moi 3d..! It can umport subd TS up to around 29000 polys and convert to nurbs! Nurbs is better for printing because you can slice you models! Freecad can also reverse enginer to nurbs! Another one is fusion 360...it has T splie tech to reverse engeneer! Export to stl. and use free ultimaker Cura for printing!
I Prusa 3 or siblings can be had for 500$ as a kit and do a good job!
Probably best tool for extruder are the Ultimaker series ie version 3 or 3 extended! They are very good almost pro quality! But in extruder..there are pro tools up to 100000 of Dollars worth for large printing and industry printing!
If you export from TS to nurbs dont go over 20000 polys! Thats more then enough!
Note small ojects or jewellery...resin based.or spexial wax printers..bigger extruder! Dont buy to big extruder! You can even flue togerher..smaller objects into bigger ones! Big prints that turn out badly after 36 hours of printing can be frustrating..! Better glue togethee smaller pieces! In case of resin there are numorous DIY versions ie using old beamers that cure the resin with UV that you can find in the net! Some use small lasers..some use lasers from CD or DVD burners etc! But be carefull lasers can be dangerous!
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

what about 123D or similar free app from autodesk? Is it usable? Its very easy to use and to model stuff and i think its not poly or SDS but nurbs.
Michal aka bitkar
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Was useable but basically pulled from the market!
Fusion 360 for private use took over! Its very good use it myself..but prefer Moi 3d over all of them!
Nothing beats it with simplicity..except Cinema 4d! But thats expensive!😊
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

i see they have some tinkercad instead (and Fusion)
Michal aka bitkar