trueSpace 7.6x under Windows 10?

MikeNTX
Petty Officer Second Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

trueSpace 7.6x under Windows 10?

Post by MikeNTX »

I used to be a big time user of trueSpace. I first bought v4 and then kept up with updates as soon as Roman came out with them. Caligari for sure got a lot of my $$. But it was worth it. For me trueSpace was a perfect match for what I wanted to do. When I upgraded to Windows 7 I noticed my now tS 7.61 did not run as well. This was also the time that tS was sold to M$. So there were no more updates to make it compatible with Windows 7. But that was not a problem as I set up my PC as a dual boot between Windows 7 or XP I would boot in XP anytime I wanted to use tS, which was most of the time. However after about a year for some reason my PC would not boot under XP and I never could fix it. My use of tS soon died off too.

Now I have a new and so so much faster PC with the Ryzen 1700x CPU and now on Windows 10. I wanted to try tS again or see if it was possible. I downloaded Caligari trueSpace 7.6 Modelside Edition V2.0 which says that it is Windows 10 compatible. I never really could get it to work. The 3D screen stays a blank white, the pop-out icons around the side do not really work. And in the libraries in the far right of the screen are all empty. I then tried to install my old tS76.exe install file and vray 1.5 It barely works and when I go to render with the default renderer or vray (yes multithreading on) it is painfully slooooow just to render a simple cube. Not only that but where it has rendered the scene it is flickering at a very high rate. For both of these versions I even tried to set the compatibility to Windows XP SP3. That helped some but not much.

So the question is - Should I just consider trueSPace as dead and cannot work under Windows 10. Or is there someway I can get it to work again?
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: trueSpace 7.6x under Windows 10?

Post by BNG »

Did you try installing it using the compatibility settings for XP service pack 3? I had Win-10 installed briefly and really did not like the way it is configured compared to previous versions. My understanding is that 7.6x should run under win-10 but I really don't know for sure?
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I really don't know what your problem is with running trueSpace/Vray and Win10.
I have no issues at all. My feeling is you shouldn't need to change anything in WIN10 I would look at video settings.
Some of the more technical users here could certainly figure this out.
FHembree
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by FHembree »

I know this may seem a little strange since you just downloaded and installed TS, but I would rename the default.ctx file to defaultBACK.ctx and restart TS.
Truespace will create a new clean default.ctx file automatically. It's been my experience that the default.crtx file can get corrupted and causes most
of the strange problems with TS. :)
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Also make sure the installation installed the correct Microsoft distributables. I skipped it once in the instalation process and got that problem on a clean install of Windows

Example.. I just copied the TS files and the distributibles were not installed. Similar issue.

Also install the unofficial updates. There is a Windows ui visual big it fixes.

I have used TS with W10 for a while with no problem. In fact it runs faster in my opinion.
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

There's a new SDK out for Windows 10. One of the features is that WIN32 software may be more accessible. Have no idea of cost, if any. May be a good insight for the coders here, seeking to improve access to TS.

"Improvements to the Desktop Bridge to make it easier than ever to bring Win32 apps to Windows 10 and the Windows Store

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... YgjuJJl.97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Walk by faith, not by sight.
MikeNTX
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by MikeNTX »

Thanks for the replies. I did try to rename the file default.cfg, let tS rebuild it. I did that but that did not help.

I did do installs from the install files, not just copy over the trueSpace folder from my old PC. Draise, when you say, "Also install the unofficial updates. There is a Windows ui visual big it fixes.". Where are these and exactly the names ?
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I think Cellulo may have already applied them, but you can search in this forum for the unofficial updates.

My troubleshooting breakdown is uninstall everything, make sure registry is clean, even uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributible - from 2005 I think - and install again. Go with the original version only. Then try the patches from this forum. Then try Cellulos complete version, which is like the biggest update.

Second, try the Direct3D settings. In the Modelside, switch to DirectX or different versions of OpenGL, one works over the other on newer cards, as some DLL's are depricated over time. In the Workspace side, lower your graphics settings. Sometimes truespace on first use will ask you how you want your system to draw.

Also, be aware that maybe you just have a bad video driver. Roll back to older versions of the video driver as a last measure. Or better, update to latest.

Last, also patch the *.exe with the 4gig RAM x64bit hack system.. also mentioned in this forum. It makes trueSpace twice as fast, literally. I think Cellulos version already is patched for that.

And sometimes.. after all is said and done, don't forget to reboot your system after driver installs, software install before opening. Sometimes this will fix the issue on some systems.

Here is a good resource for the original download.
http://truespace.kabrite.com/

Unofficial Updates
viewforum.php?f=55
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

"And in the libraries in the far right of the screen are all empty."

Did you install trueSpace in the default directory?
I would only do one thing at a time until I was sure it worked correctly. Don't install VRay yet for example. Don't install the larger trueSpace with all the plugins.
Like Draise suggested "switch to DirectX or different versions of OpenGL" in the Model side.
Keep to basics. Narrow down the problem. Don't give up!

trueSpace DOES work with Windows 10 that is a fact.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

MikeNTX wrote:Thanks for the replies. I did try to rename the file default.cfg, let tS rebuild it. I did that but that did not help.

I did do installs from the install files, not just copy over the trueSpace folder from my old PC. Draise, when you say, "Also install the unofficial updates. There is a Windows ui visual big it fixes.". Where are these and exactly the names ?
default.cfg? He said default.ctx<