FYI: Blender 2.65a display problem resolved.

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

FYI: Blender 2.65a display problem resolved.

Post by BNG »

I recently installed Blender, but had some real serious issues with keeping Blender menu's and windows visible. I install the 32 bit version under Windows XP Pro, and apparently there's an issue with the OpenGL currently used on Blender 2.49 and above. The issue was resolved by going into User Preferences>System and changing Windows Draw Mode from Automatic to Full. Just thought I'd post it as FYI for any other users that experience a similar problem. Happy new year to all btw. Leroy.
froo
Captain

Re: FYI: Blender 2.65a display problem resolved.

Post by froo »

Thanks for the tip BNG. I have not tried out Blender 2.65a much yet, so I will keep an eye out for this issue.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Hey I wonder if this fixes the flashing black when you resize the window by clicking and dragging.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

I wouldn't be surprized especially on older systems that use earlier versions of OpenGL. It was really very annoying too as every time I would hover the cursor over an item the help tip would appear, but everything else would go to a gray blank screen. I have both the 32 and 64 bit version installed under both XP and W7 yet only the XP install was displaying the oddity.

Blender, has come a long way and I think the developers finally listened to the many complaints from users and redesigned the modeling interface to be a bit more user friendly and intuitive like Truespace. It's still very difficulty to use in my humble opinion, and I still don't even know how to apply a simple 2D texture in Blender. Dragging and dropping a texture on to a model is not an option like it is in TS; also auto UV mapping doesn't exist in Blender either.

The only reason that I mess with Blender is as an option to use by new Battlezone II model makers. Most BZII modders seem to get confused trying to use TS, so I would imagine trying to use Blender is really just going to drive them totally bonkers...Leroy.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I like Blender's unfold and UV system, comparible to the mainstream software I use like Softimage, it just doesn't do it automatically, but it's not too hard to learn how to do it. But you're right about the textures, I still have no idea how they work!
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

I very much like Softimage and feel it quite a bit easier to use then Blender. I have the demo version of Softimage 7.5 and feel more comfortable using it then even Studio Max. Truespace is still my favorite and I have never really found an easier product to use to date. I just wish I knew more about Softimage in terms of using it features to create an older version 1 exporter equivilent to what it currently uses. The XSI format still has an ASCII text based format, but the newer version is not compatible with the older XSI version. Cheers, Leroy.
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

The problem with free soft is they are always a wip. When a bug is done, a new bug appear. I am tired with that and avoid these tools for my work.
The new problem with the others soft is they have the same situation. Too many update because companies need moneys or they have not good programmers (?).
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
neighborlee
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by neighborlee »

Yes, a WIP indeed.

I used blender for a while,a few years and off and on entirely, then I just gave up.
I think the community is a lot rough around the edges, with suggestions offered and ignored or outright hostility offered by
those very closely involved with blender , who should know better. Acting like children is a odd behavior from a quality program ( mostly quality),
but I've found through the years, that often that is the case with free open source software.

TS has its own learning curve to be sure, but its so easy to use in general. I started with a copy of 4.3 from a client of mine ( landscape architect) and I was absolutely delighted to have been gifted it, and now this version.

I'm still learning the ropes as they say, but getting there .

Ts seems to do just about anything you could possibly need, and very efficiently at that. What I really need atm, is to install INDigo , and having just watched a video about it, that is soon to occur :)

I'm so glad TS is being maintained, or at least has a forum where dedicated fans/devs can gather and continue partaking of this wonderful 3d app.

cheers
nl
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

Truespace is a piece of cake compared to any Blender version that I've dealt with. Blender has a huge user base, but it seems highly fragmented to say the least. Caligari modeling software is pretty much the same from version to version. I've struggled with Blender from day one. Simple tasks like UV mapping, applying materials, and working with Blender in general is a bit like trying to solve Rubnik's cube; the more you play with it the more confused one gets. ;)

Softimage is pretty well organized, but still is very complex in terms of it's modeling tool set and mastering the software itself.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Although I was open minded for Blender i had some bad experience with the user base...
I opened a support ticket because im wanted the coders to look into the implementation of Collada
because it wouldnt work if you imported motion files into Vue...
well .. here is the answer
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?fu ... group_id=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:(
Peter
Ps here is another person having the same problem....
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... ORT-TO-VUE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;