which to choose

Aszhrae
Seaman
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: which to choose

Post by Aszhrae »

Just spent the day hashing and re-hashing system generators and playing with various fractal terrain generators. Where does the time go?
You would think that fractal software would be easier to use or at least progressed in development since it was originally released for DOS.
Telling me I can create something and export it into Blender or use POVray. Geez, can you still get that program?
It was actually a godsend as programs go as you could either create models using script or work on a model and have the result as a script. I miss POVray.
At least I managed to generate a heavens so when players have their characters look up they will actually see stars to inspire. There is really no point in having a Seafaring skill or Flight without some means to navigate at night.
Geomancers also need other worlds to travel to or they just become a useless profession.

I'm kind of reminded of a Saturday morning cartoon I used to watch as a child, Thundarr, the Barbarian, science and sorcery.
neighborlee
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: which to choose

Post by neighborlee »

If cost is a issue for you, I strongly urge you to look at , Maratis:

http://www.maratis3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very light wonderful engine, and while it doesn't have a full feature set atm ( being worked on by several people, and of course plugins can be made), what it makes is a great start at something. It has official blender and 3dsmax exporters,and many more are coming as the author is working on integrating ASSIMP.

I'm using the engine, and I think one of the nicest things is its awesome editor, which works for mac, win, osX ,iphone and android.

There are tons of tutorials by author and lots more by the community , so it might just surprise you.

The biggest thing to me other than its light framework, is that the engine license is MIT.

You can also work with Lua if you like as most of the api is available.

Feel free to join us at: irc.freenode.net , #maratis

Good luck
nl