Maintain front page

froo
Captain

Maintain front page

Post by froo »

The front page of this site is deader than a doornail. It has not changed in months. Maybe it doesn't matter but if we have a website it'd be kinda nice if the front page would be refreshed once in awhile. I know, I know... 'everbody's busy', myself included. But come on. There's even that text: 'we're trying to fix a problem on the main forum... '. Uhhh, that was solved months ago. Soooo.... might want to get that removed.
I would like to help maintain the front page if I can but I don't believe I have the access priveledges to that page. I tried navigating around there before but couldn't make updates so, I'm kinda stuck there.

So... Augusto! Prodigy! Buddy! Little help here? We ought to talk about this. :)
froo
Captain

Re: Maintain front page

Post by froo »

Regarding my comment about the front page text: "trying to fix a problem with forums":
If a web surfer sees that, day after day, they begin to wonder if this place has a pulse. It's kinda quiet anyway but, that text has gotta go.
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Draise »

I would love to help maintain it!!! I have some friends of mine who do weddesign and i know a little myself. I am addicted to the internet, and this forum, so I will put up art and make it look nice. I am not always punctual, but I'd contribute stuff when I can!

WHo has access to it? Who has the FTP? What is the process?
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

I was just thinking about the front page as well the other day, about keeping it alive.

Just keeping up with the MMC/SMCs would probably be enough and wouldn't take up to much time.

So come on Prodigy, let's get to work :bananatyping:
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

You guys didn't read my Challenge very well where I had mentioned a new Gallery...
I had planned on putting the winner on the Main page. The main page hasn't been updated because no one noticed or cared before now. Send me an email if you want to volunteer. I also will need someone to handle finances in two years too. So keep that in mind also.

I didn't really want to waste energy into something no one cared about. So it took you guys a YEAR to notice? So don't complain to me now...
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

No it didn't take a year Steinie.
This discussion came up some time before. I tried digging around into the code to see if I had
access but I didn't. At the time I believe the home page was in a folder that also contained information that should not be touched; I cannot remember the details. But it sounded like it would not be possible to get access to do what needed to be done. I also believe Tiles tried digging in there. Then I backed off in a fairly large way. :)
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

New galleries, contest mentions, people, hot topics, hot articles online, etc.. I like the sounds of it.

I was not here a year ago, so eh.... sorry bout that! :)

It looks like it is powered by Joomla. If we have access to the Cpanal, I am sure through Joomla things can get done quite easily. Is it Joomla? Or PHP?
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Tiles assisted in fixing the log in problem with spammers. The Main welcoming page wasn't touched by Tiles at all. The Main Page was designed and maintained using Joomla. I believe only Prodigy and I have access to it. (I'm not sure about that one)

I stand corrected because Fro did mention back in October about putting the winner's entry from the SMC and MMC on the Main Page.

FYI
For this forum I have Administration rights but I had told Prodigy to water them down because I could do more harm then good. Prodigy has full Administration rights. There are others with rights to help maintain this forum. I have full control over our Web Hosting which will need to be taken over by a volunteer.
I am all for making this place better. So your questions are welcome.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Thanks Steinie. I think it would be good to see the main page updated. I stopped talking about it (and mentioning it) because so many things got in the way in real life. I would be happy to help too.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Steinie, email and PM sent.