Maintain front page

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Maintain front page

Post by Finis »

I hope things are good for TomG.

It is great that the site is getting a make over but what about the finances. Did anyone take the job of getting donations and paying for the host?
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

The latest update about TomG

News
May 17th 2012: My focus has been on 3D graphics and music lately, though other novels are in progress - just a little slower than usual due to the other projects I have on the go.

'Undercurrents' has received some nice feedback - if you've read it, please post your comments and rating on Amazon to let potential readers know what you thought.

December 20th 2012: Launching this new website to separate it from my freelancing / graphics site. Here I will focus on my writing and novels only. Spent some hours today coming up with the graphics and the initial home page, and will expand it as we go!

Recent news has been moving 'Undercurrents' onto KDP Select, the controversial new lending library from Amazon for their Select customers, and ongoing work on the second novel.
Attachments
Undercurrents_Book_t.jpg
Undercurrents_Book_t.jpg (19.97 KiB) Viewed 17913 times
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

Finis wrote:I hope things are good for TomG.

It is great that the site is getting a make over but what about the finances. Did anyone take the job of getting donations and paying for the host?
I have had some users WANT to take over but cannot.
I still need someone to enter their information into our service provider's site and be responsible for financials when the time come. (7/7/2014)
If they don't collect enough money then this site ceases. The volunteer is not charged since they are not entering any personal financial information. Today it would be your Name and address.
They will need to collect finances before the expiration date.
The volunteer can also work with Prodigy on other arrangements if they decide to go another direction. Move this site to another service, merge with an existing etc.
There is a group rebuilding the front page which could start bringing in finances too. You could be part of that too.

I would start thinking about this now because we have lots of time. Well everyone should know the deadline by now.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Steinie wrote:
Finis wrote:I hope things are good for TomG.

I have had some users WANT to take over but cannot.
I still need someone to enter their information into our service provider's site and be responsible for financials when the time come. (7/7/2014)
If they don't collect enough money then this site ceases. The volunteer is not charged since they are not entering any personal financial information. Today it would be your Name and address.
They will need to collect finances before the expiration date.
The volunteer can also work with Prodigy on other arrangements if they decide to go another direction. Move this site to another service, merge with an existing etc.
There is a group rebuilding the front page which could start bringing in finances too. You could be part of that too.

I would start thinking about this now because we have lots of time. Well everyone should know the deadline by now.
Would be cool to know how much (money) is needed Steinie !
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

The amount depends on who takes over and works with Prodigy and the volunteers. It depends on what everyone wants to do next.
I am not going anywhere, I just think someone else should take a turn with finances.
Awhile back I strongly felt like "ads" here were not needed and a nuisance. My feelings today might be different. We had many people want to help in the past
so I didn't see a need for ads. The Treasurer today can start planning with all of us on how we continue with U3DA.
Right now money is not the subject.

The main point right now is "who is going to be the next Treasurer"?
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Steinie wrote: ... I still need someone to enter their information into our service provider's site and be responsible for financials when the time come. (7/7/2014) The volunteer is not charged since they are not entering any personal financial information. Today it would be your Name and address.
I don't understand this part. Won't the treasurer be Hostgator's customer (or whoever's)? The treasurer is the person who collects donations and then pays Hostgator and whose financial (credit card etc.) info. is there right?

Thinking about options: We could have ads but only until enough money is made to pay the bills. There could be a store selling 3D stuff, models, textures, donated by members. The store's earnings would go to support the site. I think a store would give U3DA more control over the content and it seems appropriate since the merchandise would come from members.

Donations, I think, would still be the simplest and most appropriate way. Just a Paypal button, collect enough, pay the bill.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

Here is a video showing a slightly edited tS65 compiled help file I am working on.
Capture.PNG
Attachments
tS65Help.zip
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 309 times
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Re: http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... 054#p40054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Money to keep the site going. I pledge $20. Where is the donate button?

I still don't understand the stuff about the treasurer (here).
pugman 1
Captain

Post by pugman 1 »

I Would also like to now how to donate
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

Donate to who? I do not want to be the treasurer anymore after the expiration date. That is the point, who wants to take over and have that responsibility. They would be responsible for collecting the money etc. This site is maintained by many but mainly Prodigy.
If there are no volunteers U3DA will either end or Prodigy will have to transfer the data to another place. Remember there were problems before when another company handled us. I didn't want to keep bringing this issue up but these are the facts.
When we first started with HostGator I told Prodigy that I didn't want advertisements at this site. Maybe I made a mistake by saying that. It could have helped support us. In the future if someone does take over being Treasurer that could be something to consider again.
There is a lot of cool stuff here and I'd hate to see it all disappear.