Full list of toolbar icons of tS7 Model side?

borgcone
Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Full list of toolbar icons of tS7 Model side?

Post by borgcone »

There seems to the tS7 Quick Guide has too few toolbar icons for Model side (e.g. even toolbar names and types (standard/context) are not shown) . For tS6/tS5, there was a full list of toolbar icons. I think it should be convenient if there is such a full list for tS7 Model icons. Does it exist? or has anyone already made it?

(Edited Jan 27 UTC: "even Object tool and its toolbar name are not shown" -> "even toolbar names and types (standard/context) are not shown")

1a.png
(This is a rough image to explain. Original images are perhaps found in topics below)

Related topics:
Updated manual for TS by Cellulo
Unofficial Update Documentation Manual by clintonman
Last edited by borgcone on 27 Jan 2022, 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
borgcone ... or 3DfromNULL at https://biglode.com/ptsxpy
trueBlue
Captain

Re: Full list of toolbar icons of tS7 Model side?

Post by trueBlue »

Quick Guide
TS6_QuickCard_Side1
TS6_QuickCard_Side2
Attachments
QuickGuides.zip
(4.57 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

trueBlue, thank you. Cellulo, nice work! :D

(Edited to add)
2a.png
2a.png (7.53 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
Auxiliary parts ".6" for your convenience.
point_six_1a.zip
(62.17 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

I notice several original problems in side 2 (while Cellulo's work is honorable). I would like to improve them (below) but am in two minds; I should enlarge the page size or should cram into existing page by arranging the layout.

I'm planning to make a bilingual (English/Japanese) version of the QuickCard side 1 and 2. The reason why I don't translate to a single language is; tS7 has no function for localization and users whose mother-language is Japanese must understand each icon's English name.

My Inkscape document in the making has three layers named like; L1=Cellulo_edition, L2=English_update, L3=Japanese. By hiding my L3, I can provide revised English versions (without Japanese). Because of that, I would not like to use up blank spaces (would like to left them a bit for Japanese language).

Any opinions and additional information would be appreciated. ;)

2a.png

ToDo list for myself:

- Missing: Siblings (i.e. subgroup members of a toolbar) of "Set object as Vacuum env." icon in "Animation Tool Popouts"

- Misplaced: "Convert NURBS Obj." (short for "Convert NURBS Object with Construction History to Plain Patch") icon. It is not a sibling of "Conv.NURBS patch to Poly" but an isolated icon that should initially exist only in the icon full-list displayed by "Icon Finder" icon.

(As a side note, the icon image in a tS7 original PDFMan seems to be wrong. The QuickCard's icon matches with real tS7.61UU6 but PDFMan's icon is not: ch4_ModelModelView.pdf - 4.8.6 - p.112.)
3a.png
3a.png (33.04 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

- Unclear: Readers can hardly tell which is context toolbars.

- Inconvenient: Primitives are not fully described. Only representative ones and 4-colors (primitive, NURBS, MB, Deform.). Readers cannot notice siblings (like Geosphere, Half cylinder, Saddle, etc.) till they try long-press or read document exhaustively. Would like to add something like below:
4a.png
4a.png (31.69 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
- Insufficient: The term "Object Edit" (right-hand side of the card) appears only twice in PDFMan Chap.4, and readers cannot notice that the context toolbar appears at R-clicking Selector Sphere.
(I must check naming inconsistencies in document)

- Hard to notice: tS's two-step long-press popup action for toolbars, it should be described in the top of the card.
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

I would say make the page bigger. It looks like a pretty tight fit for 2 languages. I would also make the headings/section labels bigger or bolder. They get lost in a sea of icons.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
Cellulo
Lieutenant
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by Cellulo »

Nice work all :bananathumb: , here my source files for my updated icons and orginals files from 2013 ( :shock: ), i remember i extracted the BMP files from the quickcard PDF files that give me the images files with the size of 6845 X 3065 pixels. I wait your final quickcard version to include it in the Modelside edition.
Attachments
Cellulo_quickcard_BMP_files.zip
(13.79 MiB) Downloaded 116 times
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

Thank you for the replies.
clintonman wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 03:13 ... the page bigger. ... the headings/section labels bigger or bolder. ...
OK, I will try to widen the page a bit tentatively. It's not easy for me to decide how much area to increase with fair threshold to screen out miscellaneous candidate information. I would like to ask for opinions after I released draft versions (Inkscape or Scribus file and rendered image) to my space.
Cellulo wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 07:03 ... here my source files ... I wait your final quickcard version to include it in the Modelside edition.
I was wondering what I would do if you say "Don't use". As compared with original, I realize how effortful your work is and how little I know the difference between tS6 and tS6.6. Most of your work must be included to my new version. Thank you again.

In addition, I feel a gap between tS5 paper document (below) and later version's original PDFMan.

Though I don't know English version, Reference Guide for tS5.1 Japanese edition has 47 pages for Appendix E (titled something like "List of tool icons" if in English) after the "Appx.D Shaders". Its first 38 page includes default layout of toolbars, name list of standard/context toolbars, explanation for the following tables, explanation for each toolbar, its tool group (i.e. 1st level) and subgroup (2nd level). (The rest 9 pages are of icon index. It has no problem as tS7 Model side covers it by "Icon Helper" icon)
5a.png
Of course I don't think to make the new tS6.6 QuickCard closer to this 38 pages. It should still have only 2-sides even if its area could be a bit wider. However, I would like to aim a suitable one for practical use. :bananatyping:
Moonman
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Moonman »

Greetings all! Reading up on your quick reference project. I may still have the InDesign files I used to create the original tS6 quick reference card for Caligari. Would that be helpful or have you moved beyond that?
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

Moonman wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 05:38 ... I may still have the InDesign files ...
Thank you for your interest. I'm very interested in your card but cannot handle InDesign at all. Do you have any plans to open exported images somewhere to the public?
(Adobe products are too expensive for personal use since a long time ago. I should have not been able to buy any tS if I have bought one of their products)

Laying out one of my idea where all things are connected like a tree from a root (Model side's main view screen). Perhaps too many gaps between icon groups still exist wastefully. The background gradient for each icon name is added later. I tentatively decide the document size/aspect as A3 landscape.
6a.png
This is just one of my two or three ideas. I might be able to show some other layout patterns.
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

Side question to all.

While retyping toolbar icon names, I got the urge to know how to pick out the text of all icon names listed in Icon Helper and Icon Finder, and tried below but unsuccessful. (I understand Icon Helper covers wider than Icon Finder, e.g. "Toggle circle - spiral shape" icon in a panel.)
7a.png
7a.png (16.46 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Things I checked an hour today are:
- Checked a file tS/Scripts/UI/ui.tstoolbars.xml. It seems not to be used because it doesn't have information of Layer and the images/head_tsx.bmp of "Face Animator" doesn't match with real icon.
- Dumped exported names in all DLL files under tS/ and its parent directory. (I want to check also other files like default_layout.rsl or default.ctx, but don't know the file formats inside)

My question is:
Is there any way to know full (text) list of Model side's all icon names?
(also icons in panel if possible)