Win10 Problem

Technical questions, etc..
FHembree
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Win10 Problem

Post by FHembree »

I just finished installing Win-10 on my pc. Everything seem to be working except Truespace. Win I try to start it I get this error message memory Leak: 88 bytes and Truespace doesns't run.
Anyone have a solution? Its not in my Win-10 menu but Im using a desktop shortcut.
TS 7.61 modelside works fine but it is listed in my Win-10 menu but TS7.61 is not in my menu so I assume there is something wrong with desktop short cut :roll: .
Attachments
TS_Win10_Message.jpg
TS_Win10_Message.jpg (6.43 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Win10 Problem

Post by bitkar »

So you are using existing intallation... try to reinstall tS... Raname existing folder, install tS to intended folder and then delete it and replace it with the old one. It will write some dlls and stuff to Windows folder, maybe something into registry. I was using the same tS installation but once i ran into some problems too. Reinstalling worked.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
FHembree

Post by FHembree »

You are correct that doing a fresh install by manually deleting the entire existing TS folder C:\Truespace761 and running the ts761B8.exe setup program does eliminate the problem. :D
Only thing is I lose all of my exiting set up that I had so I had to investigate and find what was causing the problem. By slowing adding directories and files to the new installation
and checking each time to see if TS still runs I was able to identify the problem. It was the additional files in the C:\TS761\ts\Shaders\Material folder that was causing a problem.
Since all of these shaders are for the model side of truespace, I don't really need them as I use ts workside. I did not try to determine exactly which file or files is causing the problem
as the existing directory has a lot of files, but if I feel like doing this later I may. ;) ;)

See Images of the new installation and my existing installation for comparison. The existing has lots and lots more files in it.
Attachments
TS_Folder_New_Install.jpg
TS_Folder_Existing_Install.jpg
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

if you dont use the model side, you can install only the workspace version of tS maybe...?
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
FHembree

Post by FHembree »

I have gone thru each file in the directory TS\Shaders\Material\ShaderMagic and located the file causing the Win-10 memory error and it is the "ShaderMagic.tss" file. Don't know what a tss file is. Maybe my installation of ShaderMagic has gotten corrupted. For now if I just deleted this file Truespace761 Beta8 runs fine. I never ever do a reinstall. I just keep a working copy of my complete C:\Truespace761 folder in a thumb drive and also a external drive back up just incase anything goes wrong. That way I keep all my setting and etc. the way I like them. :) :)

I may try to do a reinstall of ShaderMagic and see if the problem still exist just for the fun of it. :lol: :lol:
Attachments
TS_Mem_Error.jpg
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Post by Cellulo »

Hi FHembree, i see in your screenshot that your "shadermagic.tss" file have the date "9/11/2001", this file in "tS legacy edition" have the date "01/29/2002", maybe a problem version with shadermagic file, i never had bug with shadermagic file on my windows 10.

The "tss" file extension is in fact a "dll" file renamed in tss, same thing for tsx file extension.

Here the most recent shadermagic file but i don't know if this will fix your problem:
Attachments
ShaderMagic.zip
(478.31 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
FHembree

Post by FHembree »

Thanks, I downloaded the zip file in your post and copied it my TS shader material folder and it works. I guess some how my file got corrupted. :D
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Post by Cellulo »

Cool FHembree if it's working again, i just rediscover a old topic about this memory problem with shadermagic, i had found this fix myself in 2014 but i don't remember this fix in 2020 :lol: until now:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4344&p=42549&hilit ... gic#p42545
FHembree

Post by FHembree »

Thanks,

Yeah, 6 year time span would be a long time for anyone to remember. :D
If I had thought about it, I could have just copied the Shadermagic.tss file from my TS76 Modelside Edition V2.1 since this version was working ok. :oops: