UV Editing

Technical questions, etc..
WickedWitchOfTheWeb
Petty Officer Second Class

UV Editing

Post by WickedWitchOfTheWeb »

Hi all

Still having some UV editing issues. As suggested in an earlier thread I tried out the Workspace UV Editor and it is, indeed, rather good. Not as good as UV Cow but until I can find my tS5 CD to find out if it's tS6 or Windows10 it doesn't like I will stick with the Workspace one.

Now, the problem I have is that not all faces are showing up. I can select them and they get the box around them in the editor but there is nothing actually shown. As if in the editor all they are invisible. Which I'm sure you'll agree is not very helpful!

I've tried all sorts but I'm stumped. Would anyone be willing to have a look and see if they can see what's wrong? I have attached an example mesh saved as both Workspace and Modelside format. In this particular mesh you will see that the top and bottom faces don't show, for example. many thanks for any advice.
Attachments
shoulders.cob
(12.56 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Cylinder.RsObj
(69.14 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: UV Editing

Post by trueBlue »

In trueSpace 761 Workspace, I applied a Planar UV projection to the Top faces and then to the Bottom face
UV Planar.png
BTW... I believe that trueSpace 761 Workspace UV Editor has an updated version
UV Editor.png
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Thanks for checking. Still having issues: default/cylindrical applied to object, planar applied to top and, in the UV editor, it is invisible as you can see in the screenshot. Even if I export the bmp template, it doesn't show. Same for bottom, and any of the faces on the side boxes. Can you recreate that?

Thanks for your help
Attachments
Annotation 2020-05-20 011632.jpg
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

Steps
1.) Select your object and open the UV Editor
2.) Select the Next button in the UV Editor Preferences panel.
That should show an empty UV view
3.) Point Edit, select the top faces. and apply a Planar UV projection
Steps.png
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Thanks. Next question is... what next button? I don’t see one. I’m clearly missing something obvious but how do I get that panel up? Thank you for your patience!
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

The Next button is in the UV Editor Preferences panel
Note: Right click the UV Editor icon, opens the UV Editor Preferences panel
Ctrl + Drag the UV Editor Preferences panel's title bar out from the Stack/Panel

This screen shot is from trueSpace 7.6
Flatten selected.png
I applied a Cylindrical UV projection
Selected the Next button
Selected the elements in the UV Editor
Results not shown, but you can select the Flatten selected UV vertices icon
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Hi

I was just coming on here to shout, "found it"!! and now I can bounce through the various faces and UV map sections. Last question (promise!) how do I get it to show all to allow laying out of the texture map? Output to bmp also on shows what's selected rather than everything and I can't find the option to show all.

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it.
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

WickedWitchOfTheWeb wrote: 20 May 2020, 11:31 Hi

I was just coming on here to shout, "found it"!! and now I can bounce through the various faces and UV map sections. Last question (promise!) how do I get it to show all to allow laying out of the texture map? Output to bmp also on shows what's selected rather than everything and I can't find the option to show all.

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it.
I painted your whole object with a 1024x1024 white image and then Flattened each set of elements.
I then resized and moved each set
Note: I missed some elements on the top faces. (Top Middle) :roll:

The Set Patches As Selection Element is a great selection tool!
1024x1024 Map.png
Also the Hide and Show All selected geometry tools in the Point Editing toolbar are also really handy!
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

I'm clearly missing a vital step. I can select the area I want, apply whatever UV Mapping needed, resize/move, flip flop between the various selections with the next/previous buttons but I can't work out how to have them all show at the same time as you have for fine tuning (and proper painting of texture map).

Please tell me the secret to this final step!
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

In my last post, I was using trueSpace 7.61 and the UV Editor works as expected.
In trueSpace 7.6, the UV Editor is not working/showing the 1024x1024 white texture applied to the object.
Guessing white is transparent
tS76 UV Editor.png
Here is your object saved from trueSpace 7.6
I guess what you are missing, is that you need to apply a 1024x1024 image to your whole object.
Try a flesh color or anything other then white in tS76
Attachments
Cylinder2.RsObj
(36.66 KiB) Downloaded 186 times