UV Editing

Technical questions, etc..
WickedWitchOfTheWeb
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: UV Editing

Post by WickedWitchOfTheWeb »

Ah! So, has to be one colour/material to start with and it all shows as expected. Have any parts painted in different colours and it's all separated never to meet? Annoying but easy enough to work around.

Got it! Many, many thanks.
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Might be helpful: (watch video)
http://www.spacekdet.com/tutorials/graysho/
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Thanks spacekdet, that was useful. Only real difference between that and the Workspace version is that once all the initial separations and scaling downs are done selecting by material (which is super useful) that there is no way it will show them all at the same time to be able to fine tune and export the UV template. A work around seems to be to do the initial work, then paint the whole thing the default colour and then they all appear together to enable you to do the fine tuning. A small issue but what's trueSpace without some weird quirks? !!
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

WickedWitchOfTheWeb wrote: 20 May 2020, 18:38 Ah! So, has to be one colour/material to start with and it all shows as expected. Have any parts painted in different colours and it's all separated never to meet? Annoying but easy enough to work around.

Got it! Many, many thanks.
Makes sense that you would want one image painted on a object in order to create a texture map.
The Material Previous and Next buttons are for an object that has several materials.

trueSpace 7.61 UV Editor is way BETTER then trueSpace 7.6
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

I'm used to (or was back when I was doing this stuff regularly!) painting the mesh to define areas and using Split by Materials in UV Cow. That's what I was trying to achieve this time but that's not how things are done now it would seem and that's what was really throwing me off. Now have a workable solution so can crack on with texturing. Many thanks to all of you for your help
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Paint areas then split by materials. That sounds like a good method. I'll have to see if that can be done in Blender.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker