Magnet tool

Technical questions, etc..
WickedWitchOfTheWeb
Petty Officer Second Class

Magnet tool

Post by WickedWitchOfTheWeb »

Hello!

Anyone still here? Just in case there is, anyone got any idea on how to solve this little issue? Just re-installed trueSpace after a very long time away from it. On Model side, I use the Magnetic tool and it works absolutely fine. But... the context toolbar (slide, etc) has vanished. It was there yesterday, disappeared and hasn't been seen since. No matter what I try I can't seem to get it to come back up. Any one got any idea how to get it back?

Have reset everything and it was back. Loaded up the object I want to use, which is only an edited cube, and no joy. After the magnet action it appears for a split second and vanishes.

Thanks in advance
stan
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Magnet tool

Post by stan »

Nice to see you back..

I tried the magnet tool and the magnet toolbar for the objects does seem to vanish until you redo the magnet tool. That was on two objects that it affected. Once you leave the objects it's gone, so is the magnet attraction..
magnet.jpg
magnet.jpg (16.54 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Click Icon Finder.
Locate and Control-Drag and drop magnetic tools into new toolbar.
Locate and expand toolbar containing Magnetic Tool.
Shift-Drag and drop new toolbar on top of Magnetic Tool, adding missing tools as flyout behind Mag Tool.
Save Layout/ Config.
Exit and restart tS.
Are they still there?
magnetic_personality.jpg
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Thanks for that but no joy. Item one jumps to item two as expected but instantly 'leaves' the magnetic state so object can not slide, etc. Very annoying.
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Little further on. Recreated the objects and same problem. Turns out as soon as I use a sphere cut in half (select faces and separate to two objects, delete half not needed) the problem occurs. Using a fresh sphere primitive and it works as expected.

So, now I need to work out if there's either an alternative to the magnet tool or another way of making a hemisphere...
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

trueSpace7.61 Beta 8
Win 10 Home (Compatibility Mode - Windows Vista Service Pack 1)
Seems to work for me.
Are you using the Slide On Anchor tool?
Slide on Anchor.png
I created the Hemisphere in Workspace
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Model side. It is working but breaks under the conditions I've mentioned. I remember tS was a quirky beast, I just didn't expect to encounter quirks quite so quickly in my re-acquaintance!

I solved the issue by using a heavy dose of maths and positioning the items by numeric input.
spacekdet
Captain
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

I guess I should learn to answer the right question.
Could 'Collision With All' help in the future for aligning objects?
stan
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by stan »

You could try boolean subtract to create a hemisphere or switch to workspace as it has that option for sphere creation. I had no issue creating it the way you did and it worked with the magnet tool.
Question what version of windows are you using? Mine was done in win7 pro 64bit.
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Tried collision, didn't work successfully enough as there are angles in play.

Slice, boolean, etc, all gave same result. It's clearly something screwy within tS Model/6.6 side (fancy that, something quirky is trueSpace!).

All sorted now by other means but, for completeness, Windows 10 latest build. Maybe I should have switched to Workspace but I was being stubborn! Only just reacquainting myself with Model side without venturing into the alien world of Workspace!

I'm just delighted to see there are still people around, thanks for your help chaps.