trueSpace Training Courses and tS version

Technical questions, etc..
First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

trueSpace Training Courses and tS version

Post by First Light »

Greetings,

Many Caligari trueSpace training courses are listed below ("Caligari" is the name of the company that originally created trueSpace). A few third-party courses are also included at the end. The purpose of these lists is to help new users by showing what is available at the Caligari and True-Source Shop websites and by providing the trueSpace version used in each one. Knowing the version used is important in understanding why some courses will not match the current programs (trueSpace 7.61 and trueSpace 7.61 Std/Rosetta).

We're also in the process of creating a home for new trueSpace training here at United3DArtists (tSCommunity) and we've provided two separate forums for them. First is the trueSpace Workspace forum which collects tutorials for the Workspace Side of trueSpace 7.61. Note: If you are using the "Std" or "Rosetta" edition of trueSpace 7.61, then you only have the Workspace Side and you'll want to focus most of your attention on this forum. Second is the trueSpace Model Side forum which collects tutorials for the older Model Side. Note: The Model Side was included in the full edition of trueSpace 7.61 (and earlier 7.x releases) to support older versions and techniques. It is our hope that dividing the tutorials into Workspace and Model Sides will make it easier for new users to find what they need.

The original training courses at the Caligari website are divided into the four major groups listed below:
  • :: Fundamentals Courses - a collection of 16 courses for users of trueSpace 7.x.
    Note: While some of the above courses use older versions, their principles are still relevant to the Model Side today.
    :: Master Courses - a collection of 5 courses for users of trueSpace 7.x.
    Note: While some of the above courses use older versions, their principles are still relevant to the Model Side today.
    :: Older Courses - a collection of 12 courses for users of trueSpace 6.x.
    Note: While the above courses are now deemed obsolete, portions may still be relevant to the Model Side today.
    :: Tutorials - an archive of trueSpace 5.x and older tutorials.
    • trueSpace 5.x Tutorials - a collection of 7 courses for trueSpace 5.x.
    • trueSpace 5.x Tutorial Movies - a collection of 11 instructional videos for trueSpace 5.x by Roman Ormandy.
    • trueSpace 4.x Tutorials - a collection of 5 courses for trueSpace 4.x.
    • trueSpace 3.x Tutorials - a collection of 10 courses for trueSpace 3.x.
    • trueSpace Python - two courses for the Python script language.
Many courses in the first two groups ("Fundamentals Courses" and "Master Courses") are relevant to trueSpace 7.61 users today. The relevancy depends on whether you want to learn about the "Workspace Side" or the "Model Side" of the program. The Workspace Side is the new architurecture that was introduced with version 7 and there are very few Caligari courses for it. All training courses made before trueSpace 7 would be relevant primarily to the Model Side. But even most of the later courses were also made using the Model Side. Jack Edwards' "Workspace Organics Modeling" course is considered one of the best Workspace Side courses available from Caligari.

trueSpace 7.61 (the final version) is available in both (1) a full edition with both the Workspace and Model Sides and (2) a "Std" / "Rosetta" edition with only the Workspace Side. Since there aren't many Workspace Side courses, there isn't much training for the 7.61 Std/Rosetta edition. For more information about the Workspace Side and Model Side and why they were both included in most versions of trueSpace 7.x, please see the trueSpace FAQs.

Important: Please remember that the Caligari website may no longer be available after October 2009---and when this happens, the Caligari training courses may also cease to be available. Therefore we recommend that you download as many of them as possible before then. They are all free.

I've listed the Caligari courses in the same order as they are listed in the "Training" section of Caligari's website. The trueSpace version is indicated at the beginning of each one. The author and year (when available) are listed at the end.

Free Training Courses at Caligari

:: Fundamentals Courses
  • tS7.51 - Workspace Organics Modeling - Jack Edwards - 2008
  • tS7.51 - Elements of Game Design - Matthew J. Collins - 2008
  • tS7.51 - trueSpace and Vue 5 Esprit - Stephen May - 2008
  • tS7 - Intro to Real-Time Shaders - Paul Ashington - 2006
  • tS7 - Scripting a Clock - Norm Fortier - 2006
  • tS7 - Scripting a Chrismas Card - Norm Fortier - 2006
  • tS7 - Rendering Emotions - Zachary Humway - 2006
  • tS7 - Intro to Widgets - Marcel Barthel - 2006
  • tS7 - Intro to Scripting - Norm Fortier - 2006
  • tS7 - Intro to Scripting Follow Up - Norm Fortier - 2006
  • tS7 - Intro to Product Illustration - David Froude - 2006
  • tS7 - Getting Started with trueSpace 7 - Paul Ashington - 2006
  • tS6.6 - 3D for Illustrators - Marcel Barthel - 2004
  • tS5 - Polygonal - Jeff Parish - 2001
  • tS5 - Organic Modeling - Rob Mitchell - 2001
  • tS5 - Nurbs - Mike Harris - 2001

:: Master Courses
  • tS7 - Procedural Animation - Matthew J. Collins - 2006
  • tS7 - HDRI - David Bokon - 2006
  • tS7 - V-Ray 1.0 for trueSpace 7 - Marcel Barthel - 2006
  • tS6.6 - Texture Creation - Norbert Esser - 2005
  • tS6.6 - Multipass Rendering (with Photoshop) - Marcel Barthel - 2004
:: Older Courses
  • tS6.6 - Designing with Nurbs - Hans Kylberg - 2003
  • tS6.6 - Illustrating Products - Andy Kay - 2003
  • tS6.6 - Character Animation - Oliver Röhe - 2003
  • tS6.6 - Music Machine - Nigel Doyle - 2003
  • tS6 - Architecture - Phil Emery - 2002
  • tS6 - Character Design - Kary Ohman - 2002
  • tS6.6 - South Park: Reloaded - Fernando Hernandez - 2004
  • tS6.6 - Getting Started with trueSpace 6.6 - Oliver Röhe - 2003
  • tS6 - Spirit of the Interface - Roman Ormandy - 2002
  • tS5 - KFE Animation - Kevin Barnett - 2001
  • tS6.6 - Simulating the World - Zac Mansfield - 2003
  • tS5 - Shaders - Matthew Chan - 2001
:: Tutorials (old)
  • trueSpace 5.x Tutorials
    • tS5 - Nurbs Car Body - Casey W. Frisbie - 2001
    • tS5 - Dragon Texturing - Charlie Hossenlopp - 2001
    • tS5 - Introductory Tour - Saul Greenberg - 2001
    • tS5 - Introduction to Nurbs - Norm Fortier - 2001
    • tS5 - Basic Nurbs - Norm Fortier - 2001
    • tS5 - PPFX - Primal Particles FX Plugin Tutorial - Jonathan Koehn - 2001
    • tS5 - Animated Nurbs - Mike Harris - 2001
  • trueSpace 5.x Tutorial Movies
    • tS5 - Introduction to the Interface - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - Primitives - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - Draw Panel - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - Nurbs - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - Subdivision Surfaces - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - MetaMuscles - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - Material Editor - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - 3D Paint - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - Tone Mapping - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - Animated Subdivision Surfaces - Roman Ormandy - 2001
    • tS5 - Radiosity - Roman Ormandy - 2001
  • trueSpace 4.x Tutorials
    • tS4 - Bones I - Brett Fattori - 1998
    • tS4 - Bones II - Brett Fattori - 1998
    • tS4 - Blade - Barry Christian - 1998
    • tS4 - Boat Hull - Barry Christian - 1998
    • tS4 - Basically Bones - Chris Tyler - 1998
  • trueSpace 3.x Tutorials
    • tS3 - Save That Geometry - Tom Marlin - 1998
    • tS3 - The Magic of Light - Chris Tyler - 199?
    • tS3 - 32 Ford Hotrod Car - Frank Rivera - 1997
    • tS3 - Sky Water Scenes - Marco Bucci - 199?
    • tS3.1 - Underwater Scenes (Shark Hall) - Ian Dale - 1997
    • tS3 - Light - Voitek Niedbala - 199?
    • tS3 - Spinning 3D Text - Joe Brewer - 199?
    • tS3 - Seamless Joints - Chris Tyler - 199?
    • tS3 - Sunset - Joe Brewer - 199?
    • tS3 - Alternative to Depth of Field - Marco Bucci - 199?
  • trueSpace Python
    • tS4 - Script Manager Part I - Jonathan W. Taylor - 1998
    • tS4 - Script Manager Part II - Jonathan W. Taylor - 1998

Next are some training courses that you'll find at True-Source Shop. They were graciously donated by Jason Lechak ("Frootee" / "froo") and Justin Barret ("nowherebrain").

Free Training Courses at True-Source Shop
  • tS7.51 - LE (Link Editor) and Scripting - Jason Lechak - 2007
  • tS7.5 - Interface Setup - Justin Barrett - 2007
  • tS7.5 - Depth of Field (DOF) - Justin Barrett - 2007
  • tS7.51 - SMC-15 Chess Piece - Justin Barrett - 2007
  • tS7.51 - SMC-17 Musical Instrument - Justin Barrett - 2007
  • tS7.51 - Modeling a Head - Justin Barrett - 2007
  • tS7.51 - Modeling a Body - Justin Barrett - 2007
  • tS7.51 - Texturing Molly - Justin Barrett - 2007

I hope these lists are helpful. Eventually, it would be nice to create a repository of trueSpace training. Please feel free to add your own lists. And if you find any mistakes in the above information, please let me know and I'll correct it.

Best regards, First Light
JOHNHOWARD
Seaman

Re: trueSpace Training Courses and tS version

Post by JOHNHOWARD »

Thanks very much for these links. The job of saving all this valuable info before it disappears is a large project.

I would happily pay for a disk that contained the entire TS forum (a treasury of great info and plugins) - but it probably wouldn't fit on a disk.
Teklabz
Seaman

Post by Teklabz »

Thanks for this list. I have viewed Jack Edwards' organic modeling course several times, it is wonderful. Does anyone know if he is still planning on creating the other parts of this course? I got the impression there would be 3 or 4 installments when all was said and done.
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Maybe... but not so soon. He is busy now (studying, don't hve much information) , I don't know if he will continue the series after it.

Cya
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

May 22nd 2009:
Jack Edwards wrote:Yeah, gotta agree with Steinie on this one. Much as I wanted to, I can't really see any market for doing finishing the course in trueSpace. With the economy the way it is, I really can't keep spending months of my life working on non-paying projects. Sorry :bananasad:

I've sort of come to a crisis point. With interest in trueSpace plugins further waning, I'm reaching the point where it might not be worth the effort to continue with the plugin projects either. And I can't in good faith ask for you guys to continue supporting them either, since even if everyone here paid $20 per plugin every time a plugin was released, that's still less money per hour than I'd make flipping burgers or washing dishes part-time.

And to be honest, sales are pathetically slow. I've haven't sold a single copy of the Procedural Animation Toolkit, and I know Froo hasn't even recouped a fraction of the time he put out for the OBJ Importer. I'm willing to bet that even if we gave the plugins away for free (like I've done with the YafaRay4tS add-on), the number of actual users could probably be counted on two hands.

I wish it wasn't the case but this has always been the way of trueSpace plugin development. This isn't something new. It's the same reason that all the 3rd party developers left before.

I apologize for being so negative about it, but there's some hard choices that I need to make that I've been putting off for way too long.
bkjernisted
Chief Petty Officer

Post by bkjernisted »

The Architectural tutorials will not play in windows media player 12. Is it legal to convert these videos to a different format windows media player 12 will play. Which programs are able to do this? Thanks!
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Have you checked to see if you have the correct codec installed?
bkjernisted
Chief Petty Officer

Post by bkjernisted »

Windows update is up to date. What would you suggest? How do you know what codec to use? Thanks!
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Usually if Media Player is unable to play a file I suggest downloading ffdshow which is a compilation of codecs. Run the install and try playing again.

If this does not work you would need a video editing program that can read the old file to create the new file.

Another route is to try downloading other free video players (apple quicktime etc) and see how it goes.

Good hunting!
bkjernisted
Chief Petty Officer

Post by bkjernisted »

v3rd3 do you think it would be legal to convert these files? Thanks!