trueSpace Training Courses and tS version

Technical questions, etc..
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Re: trueSpace Training Courses and tS version

Post by v3rd3 »

It really depends on the jurisdiction you live in. In Canada we have the right to convert licensed materials from one media to another for personal consumption.

It is my understanding, though I could be wrong, that in the US converting materials from one media to another constitutes a "fair use".

I am not a lawyer so this is just a personal opinion, but from where I see things these courses are being given away for free so converting them to a format that you can consume should survive any legal challenge.
bkjernisted
Chief Petty Officer

Post by bkjernisted »

v3rd3 has the new legislation about copyrights gone through and has this changed our right to convert licensed materials from one media to another for personal consumption? Or is it just legislation and not put through yet? Thanks!
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

I agree with v3rd3. If you are doing this for personal use, just do it.
But don't bother redistributing it. If you do this, for yourself, the only
way someone will truly find out, is to randomly come to your house,
and scan your hard drives, and search your entire house for the 'evidence'.
But that costs money; so why would they even bother? :)
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

If you give/sell any copy to anyone else, converted or not, you will surely violate the owner's rights unless the license says you can distribute it.

Converting it only for your own use, whether legal or not, doesn't violate the spirit of what copyrights are for. I think it is legal, for your own use, under US law. But I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

It is my understanding that the changes in Canada have gone through.
MikeNTX
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by MikeNTX »

This is six years after the original post and the Caligari site is gone now. It is a shame, I was a huge fan Caligari, trueSpace and of Roman. I started with tS 4. trueSpace fit well with with what I wanted and my budget. It was very easy to use, easier than Blender. So when M$ bought Roman out then destroyed trueSpace I was very upset. And for a long time fell out of doing any 3D work. But now I want to look at it again. I want to see what I can do with Python maybe. I see that is a listed course but the Caligari website is now gone. What sources are there for learning to use Python with tS. Further, to what my goal is. Is there enough documents around for creating an interface to other renderers, such as LuxRender?

Mike M.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Welcome First Flight.

I've suffered two EOL's of my favorite software, trueSpace being my first love and now Softimage. Fortunately tS was left for free.. I know how it feels...

Here are some good links to start on. Yafaray developed a system to export from the Workspace side of 7.61 beta 8. Some have got it going. There also is a Vray system, similar. You could look at how they did their stuff.

I know someone or two mirrored the Caligari website somewhere.. but I don't know where.

I find trueSpace still relevant when it comes to modeling, viewport and shaders, limited with UV's but capable, and still great for basic quick animations - even rigged ones. The WS still can be heavily modified and developed with javascript. I don't know about python, but there might be a syntax for that in the LE editor.
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

Draise wrote: ... I don't know about python, but there might be a syntax for that in the LE editor.
Nope, unfortunately Python is modelspace only.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com