New Robot Leg Design

jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

New Robot Leg Design

Post by jeffroig »

From our failures we learn and gain more knowledge to make the next attempt even more successful.
Lord knows I have gone head to head with the school of hard knocks more than one time and have learned much.
I have been working on several different designs in legs for a biped.
The larges problem that any biped has is stability and not falling over.
The majority of the time a biped falls over is due to a vibration being set up much like a frequency in a sound wave.
Once this vibration hits the right frequency the bot will fall over has stands no chance at being stable.
You can slow the walking gait down and this helps but now we have a zombie bot, walks and is interesting but providing a function, well if its in a race against a snail maybe.
I have come up with a design in biped legs that prevents this from happening.
Each leg uses 6 servos which gives us 12DOF (Degrees of Freedom).
Here are a couple pictures of my finished work and a video of the legs walking fast paced.
You will notice that in the video the bot is really not going anywhere, this is intentional to test the balance and vibration.
The bot was later testing on carpet and did extremely well which is a feat as carpet is a difficult surface to work with as it gives with pressure.
IMG_20190209_140203.jpg
IMG_20190209_140215.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2U0oMPzHIM
jamesmc
Captain

Re: New Robot Leg Design

Post by jamesmc »

Just needs penguin arm flaps and that fellow will be ice skating in no time! :)
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Glad to see you making progress on this. The video needs dancing music ha ha ha.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Yes due to it sliding around does look like it is dancing.
Will have to do another video of it walking on the carpet.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Okay so while the first set of legs were a proof of concept you will find that this set has grown quite a bit.
Legs.jpg
IMG_20190324_065715.jpg
Oh and you say where is the rest well here it is.
IMG_20190324_065744.jpg
And if you are wondering what the heck is in that body/head I will tell you but first some more pictures of it.
IMG_20190323_100200.jpg
IMG_20190323_100208.jpg
IMG_20190323_100216.jpg
IMG_20190323_100223.jpg
Contained within the body are the following components.
Arduino Mega 2560 with Sensor Shield, BlueTooth Module,RTC (Real Time Clock) module,4-3.7V 1800 Mah Lithium Batteries, Sharp Long Range Distance Finder, Nokia 5110 LCD, UBEC Circuit (Battery Regulation).
The picture that shows the back side is displaying the 12 PWM pins that drive the servos for the legs.
Using software I designed for the Android phone I am able to talk to the robot and it will follow commands.
It will also talk back to me through the phone and is able to carry on a conversation.
The bots primary purpose is to deliver messages via the LCD screen and to Patrol for intruders.
I will be adding a IR transceiver also so that is can find the charging station and charge as needed.
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

Patrol for intruders - Could be a replacement for 'junkyard dogs', lunchroom monitor or if equipped with lasers in cabins frequented by mice and other vermin.
Walk by faith, not by sight.