Ungroup? Grouped, did stuff, now I can't separate them...

Jill
Petty Officer Second Class
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Ungroup? Grouped, did stuff, now I can't separate them...

Post by Jill »

You can group [Encapsulate objects in 3D], but not ungroup? You Have Got To Be Kidding me, what kind of crud is that?! :roll: Now that I grouped objects to perform some functions on them, now I cannot pull them out of the group?.. There has got to be a way [you would think,] I just must not be seeing it. Or is this just one of those things they left unfinished, or did they think you would never have to separate a group, or never have to get a copy of an object back to the main 'Space 3D' group?

There has got to be a way, but of coarse there is no button and I cannot see how to move an object from one group to another. I have scanned through the manual and cannot find anything relevant to doing this. I tried everything I can think of including the other button that is with the group [Encapsulate] buttons "flatten history", and even the scene view but of coarse nothing drags around in that.

So... ?
1) Is there a way to ungroup objects or pull objects out of a group?
2) If so, how? [what diff possible ways are there,] If not, then WHY NOT!!! :shock: :o

I find it hard to believe that a group 3d button is supplied, but no ungroup/disband button, you could end up with a massive hierarchy that you could never undo, it just doesn't make sense not to provide a disband button. If there is not an "official" way, there has at least got to be a hack/work around.
Last edited by Jill on 11 Dec 2011, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
-Jill-

Helped w/a riddle: "If one is specifically clever, and the only witness of it was an idiot, was the cleverness a wasted effort?"
The 1st clue is in the use of the word 'witness',..
The 2nd is in the fact that you conveyed it to ME. :lol:
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Ungroup? Grouped, did stuff, now I can't separate them...

Post by trueBlue »

OMG!!!
Jill

Post by Jill »

trueBlue wrote:OMG!!!
?

I joined the forum 6 days ago, and have been using the program for a little over a week... I'm new to tS, whadaya want!?
-Jill-

Helped w/a riddle: "If one is specifically clever, and the only witness of it was an idiot, was the cleverness a wasted effort?"
Prodigy
Site Admin
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Prodigy »

Hi and welcome.. Trueblue made a uncapsulator script.. you may try to search on the forum.. here is my version.. but i guess trueblue's is better..

welcome aboard! :bananadrum:
Attachments
DE-encapsulate.rar
(14.4 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Grouping is easy, once you learn how, on model side. I sort of wish I could help you with workspace (want to help but wouldn't want to have suffered to learn it myself).

You rant really well. Your rants remind me of when I discovered that, despite claims, TS bones/skin character animation doesn't work (either side) and ended up with no Christmas movie for my family and friends. (You all remember that one? Caligari forums? "...maybe workspace is so great it makes puppies and kittens happy and everything will be perfect forever but I paid for both sides".)

Prodigy ( :worship: ) noted a uncapsulator script? So there really wasn't such a function in workspace?
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Jill

Post by Jill »

Prodigy wrote:Hi and welcome.. Trueblue made a uncapsulator script.. you may try to search on the forum.. here is my version.. but i guess trueblue's is better..

Thank you, I am guessing I put this in a folder in the libraries? Then do I just load it, or ?
-Jill-

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

The folks here are pretty laid back and always happy to help.
That's the great thing about this forum.
Yeah looks like the Unencapsulate functionality was not put in place
but there are solutions; as Prodigy pointed out.
So when you run into trouble with Workspace, as soon as you find
an issue post a thread about it. Many other folks have run into the
same problems and solutions are known. You can save a considerable
amount of your time (and frustration) by doing that.

And, looks like you are really plugging along Jill. That's great!
Jill

Post by Jill »

Finis wrote:You rant really well. Your rants remind me of...
Are you grading my rant? :lol: so on a scale of 0-9? ;)

Honestly I just keep encountering a lot of things that are counter to the operating system, then things that don't function properly, then things that are convoluted, hidden, or just seem to be missing,.. and as a result my frustration grew and compounded for each thing I try to solve/resolve. I have been in hardware design and programming since the old Apple][+, and I swear, programmers are just getting worse! [lazier and/or less skilled, but mostly just lazier]
Finis wrote:Prodigy ( :worship: ) noted a uncapsulator script? So there really wasn't such a function in workspace?
I guess not. That is just... well, wrong. From a programmers point of view, if you haven't finished the basic functions of something like this [do and undo] then you shouldn't be implementing it. :roll:
-Jill-

Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

Jill wrote:
Prodigy wrote:Hi and welcome.. Trueblue made a uncapsulator script.. you may try to search on the forum.. here is my version.. but i guess trueblue's is better..

Thank you, I am guessing I put this in a folder in the libraries? Then do I just load it, or ?
Drag it into LE, install it and if it's all right you might have a new icon..

The workflow is this..

3 encapsulated objects.. With the arrow keys you can navigate through them.. select the one you want to Uncapsulate and then click on the new decapsulate button..

Tell me if you need more info, i can make a tutorial video if it's necessary.
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

Finis wrote:So there really wasn't such a function in workspace?
NOOP!!! hahahahah incredible but true..
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑