animation paths

xtetra
Petty Officer Second Class

animation paths

Post by xtetra »

Was just getting the hang of using animation paths in TS 7.61 on the model side. I've gotten used to adjusting axis rotation etc so the "look ahead" function works properly. Under the settings for look ahead you can adjust the bias and tension of the path as well as bank. Bias and tension seem fine to me but I'd rather key frame the "bank" function myself. Trouble is TS doesn't seem to let you once you've established a path. Is there a way to do this that I've overlooked?

I'm not against going over to the workspace side to accomplish this, but all my rendering will be done w/ the LW render engine on the model side.

I do have the old Anipak as well if there is anything on there you'd suggest I use. I had a look but apart from the VcTek PI it all seems to be stuff for character anim. From what I remember about VcTek its more about tracks/wheels/ and gears then animation paths.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
robert
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: animation paths

Post by robert »

Jack has made a plugin to support the YafaRay render engine on the workspace side, it is very powerful with Global Illumination and now animation support.
Go to http://www.yafaray4ts.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info.
If you see a zukazamme it's probably me.

The thing about finding the truth is you first have to find who's hiding it.

Flow looks good, and it is important.

Logic, mathematics, and science let you see through the grime.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

I've seen this and will probably use it at some point. (It does look pretty cool.) At the moment I not using the Yafray engine or working on the workspace side so it doesn't really solve the problem, which is basically that as the object I'm animating moves along the path the "bank" function (right click on "look ahead" to see the settings) seems a bit quirky in the results it gives.

What I'd like to do is key frame the rotation of the object as it moves along the path. (Think wobbling wings on an aircraft.) Trouble is, after I've defined the path I'm unable to do this. When I select the object and attempt to rotate (banking it left or right) TS doesn't let me.
Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Karthogen »

One thing I noticed with the Anamation is to limit what is being recorded to the bare minimum that will do what you want.
I belive for location (Movement) you would just need to make sure you are recording the Matrix/owner Matrix.
Then when you are recording the wings remove teh matrix and just keyframe the object itself.

Hope that helps.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

Not sure I follow, what do you mean by Matrix and owner Matrix. Is this workspace side you are referring to or model space?

I'll try and record an example of what is going on tonight so you can see what I'm trying to fix

Thanks!
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

The Matrix is on Workspace side.
Never trust the Matrix, or you will loose your job... hehe, I never miss a chance to run down the WS :twisted:

More seriously, Xtetra, I think that the Roll Object in Curves (Bank) can't be keyframed. As far as I know that setting is for the whole animation only... A workaround would be a nice find though ;)
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

OK, just found my problem. When you use the "look ahead" function for an object which has an animation path you have 3 settings to adj. (Right click on "look ahead" and look for the dialog box that pops up)

Tension...degree to which the object attempts to follow its original orientation long the path.

Bias...controls how much the object slides to the outside of a path corner (think "understear" or "drift" for a race car in a high speed corner.

Bank...sets the maximum bank for an object by degrees.

My mistake was setting bank to whatever I wanted it and leaving the Tension at the default of zero. If the tension is at zero then the object never really banks. For instance, if you were trying to animate an aircraft along a path and wanted it to bank at a max of 30 deg then you set the bank of course at 30, but until you adjust the tension as well you then the aircraft will just turn flat along the path, more like a car turning on the road. After I set the bank I just scrub back and forth along the time line and adjust the tension until I like the results.

This has been driving me nuts! :lol: Finally figured it out! :bananamouse:

BTW...not sure that it matters but I go back to frame zero to adjust any of the settings.