DARPA competition - XC2V

Monthly Modeling Contest
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

DARPA competition - XC2V

Post by bitkar »

let me announce a designers competition created by DARPA (defence advanced research projects agency). Price is 7500 USD.

Goal is to design fast military vehicle for US army. Some technical part has already been made by Local Motors Company.

Read further instructions here:

http://www.local-motors.com/XC2V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think its chance to compete and show our skills. Good luck and have fun ;)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Re: DARPA competition - XC2V

Post by Finis »

I wish I had time to participate. I'll bet that Ghost Scout can make something great for this.

Here is DARPA and the DARPA contest document:
http://www.darpa.mil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.darpa.mil/news/2011/XC2VChallengeLaunch.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Great chance to participate! The prize is a lot of money, but I guess you need some engineering knowledges.

PS: I'm unable to do it, I can't imagine myself doing anything that could actually kill or harm something even indirectly as this.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

LeonRegis wrote:Great chance to participate! The prize is a lot of money, but I guess you need some engineering knowledges.

PS: I'm unable to do it, I can't imagine myself doing anything that could actually kill or harm something even indirectly as this.
1. it does not require any engineering skill. This is the first phase - the sketch. Its about concept designing and ideas - how it should look like, what features can you think of.

2. This vehicle is more about saving lives than killing (and if yes, than what?). Its a light fast agile offroad vehicle, that is about to be used for fast evacuation, reconnaissance, supplying, etc. Its not a tank!

read first what it is all about, then discuss ;)
Michal aka bitkar
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Yes bitkar, I know that it will probably used to save lives, but when I read this:

There are two different mission sets that you will be designing this vehicle to take part in:

1. Combat Delivery and Evacutiation

2. Intelligence, Surveilance and Reconnaissance

Combat Delivery, I don't like that... the rest I approve. It is a more defensive combat vehicle but still a military one, it does need to kill to save...

Anyway that just me, I support anyone here that might try =)
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I think if someone attacks your Country you will feel different.
Not trying to start anything here but you already have stated your feelings.
Historically speaking you would have been taken over by Germany in WWII, the al-Qaida, the Vikings, Europeans against the American Indians, and on and on. Your a sitting target.
I believe in Peace like you but I'd be stupid to believe I need no Defense.
This vehicle isn't for starting wars it is for ending them.
Stop making everything sound like a personal peace mission.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

ok, Leon is pacifist, why not, its his opinion no matter how big "idealism" that is.

but one thing iam not sure you get - Combat delivery doesnt mean killing while making dalivery. It means to supply soldiers with what is needed and cannot be supplied from air (food, ammo, medical stuff,...). There is an example of usage to supply food for soldiers. Its just support vehicle, not combat vehicle.

btw: designing somethig that can kill = you will never design a civil car, coz car can kill. ;)
Michal aka bitkar
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

for those who want to participate, I have an obj file with a help of my buddy. Here it is. Feel free to use it. Coz the IGES is a crap and almost useless for us. (also CAM apps had lots of problems)

Folowing was converted by Inventor to STL which works in tS, but I used MeshLab to make it even better ;)
Attachments
XC2V-upraveny.7z
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 309 times
Michal aka bitkar
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

I know this is not a forum to discuss politics and ideas, but I just want to make clear, I'm not an unconditional pacifist, I'm a Never-Shot-First Pacifist. And yes, if terrorists, another country or anything attacks me and my country without a reasonable reason, I would feel different and fight back the most I could. Unconditional Peace is an utopia and will never be reached, so you can't be an unconditional pacifist.

I don't want to get in details, but I know that USA is at war so you might want to help your troops to win the battle, I probably would too.

I don't want to design nothing that are made to kill or support the killing of people, the problem is that human being turns everything into a weapon... so if I was like you said, I wouldn't even design a pen.

I don't want this to sound like a confrontation, just to make things clear and you don't think I'm the puffy guy that never wants to fight.
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Peace dude! :bananacheers: