Exploring the true secret of Truespace.

Start here all your tutorials for Truespace Worskpace Side.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Exploring the true secret of Truespace.

Post by BNG »

Anyone who has ever claimed that Truespace is a difficult to use 3d modeler has never really spent much time actually using it. Trust me when I say that TS is probably the easiest advanced 3d modeling application in the free world. This icon based modeler's real secret is learning the fine art (no pun intended) of left and right clicking things with a simple mouse. Go ahead try it for yourself. I would go as far as saying that 90 percent of TS's icons are actually right clickable to expose hidden control panel settings to fine tune how TS performs advanced modeling tasks. It may take some time getting used to this rediculously simple concept, but most truly creative people embrace it like a welcome old friend of years gone by.

I remember well the days when I first thought of making 3d models only to to get really frustrated trying to learn how to use advanced modeling software like 3D Studio Max. It was a complete exercise in utter futility. I won't get into the details, but let's just say that not many models were actually made with it.

In contrast, when I began using Truespace my creative juices really began to flow like a river. The more I played with TS the more I started to embrace the sheer simplicity of producing models with ease. What I could only imagine before became reality as I began to unlock the advanced modeling tools in TS. The polyline tools in TS are by far the the best tool for making very organic complex 3d objects. The process is so simple, left click and draw a line in the workspace and continue doing so shaping your object as you go along when your done right click and viola your piece is ready for conversion into an editable poly mesh. Oh, but it does not stop there. Right click to enter the edit mode and the true creativity really expands. Sweep a few faces and add a few edges here and there and the piece really begins to take shape. Apply a subdivision layer to smooth the piece out and then extract the final mesh and your ready to begin using the deform tools to mold the piece like a slab of wet clay back and forth until it conforms into what you want it to be.

There is so much more to TS then meets the the eye but the true secret in learning to use it is actually just actually having the courage to press that first little icon button and unlocking the true secrets of Truespace.
Last edited by BNG on 04 Nov 2010, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
MikomDude
Captain

Re: Exploring the true secret of Truespace.

Post by MikomDude »

So true that is ;)
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

If you have a garage with tools hanging on the wall, it's easier and less tiring than opening drawers with labels. Especially if you do not understand what is written on these labels. TS is as this wall but if you are not organized, it will quickly become difficult to manage for those who like drawers. Some like it, others prefer drawers. Me, I like bazard which does not require me to think when I take a tool. I can only deal with creation. :D
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

I really love using Truespace and I sincerely hope that Microsoft or at the very least some other software company releases another modeler as easy to use as TS. Most of us will never have the time it takes to learn a complicated 3d modeling program. I do it a hobby and simplicity is such a radical blessing in the super complex world that we all live in now a days.

I certainly hope that Roman Ormandy decides to start a new software company and get a better marketing team then the past team. In my view, Caligari never really promoted Truespace very effectively at all. About the only 3d modeling software that I remember seeing ads for was Lightwave; I never even heard of Truespace, 3d Studio Max, or any of the plethra of other 3d modeling application before taking the leap at 3d model making. Most are simply not designed for the average human being to comprehend let alone use. Kudos to Truespace and the people that designed it for the human race. :worship: