Post by FHembree »

Youtube video interview of the creator of Blender
https://youtu.be/qJEWOTZnFeg
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Money Doesn't matter to Me; Blender creator

Post by Steinie »

I watch the entire video and thought it was really educational on how the leaders of Blender think. No wonder Tiles won't work with these guys.
Their minds are set. That being said...I really think Blender is a fantastic idea and product. The only thing that bothers me is all the shortcut keys and
some of the clunky ways to do things. He mentions that he really like Substance Painter interface, wants Blender to load in one second, doesn't like popup windows,
lets the users decide on how it is used, (of course the new user isn't his focus) wants everything to be in real time.(EEVEE) The code must be solid and work.
Pretty cool interview!
FHembree
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by FHembree »

I thought I would give my input on icons for Blender. I have used almost all cad programs out there at some time in my life and I can see advantages for icons, menus, combinations of
both as wells as shortcut keys only, with no icons or menus on the screen. One thing I have always disliked was the changing of menus (or Icons), just for the sake of changes. It always a pain
and waste of time to have to relearn for the sake of change.

I think overall the Blender Menus are pretty well organized as there are in the latest versions since 2.7 and later. So my thought is to just keep overall organizations basically as it is and just add icons
to the text menus as additional items and make them user selectable as to whether they are displayed or not. I have a little bit of programming experience and I know this should be a fairly easy approach to adding icons and it gives users the choice of using or not using. (Some of the icons, of course, could have fly out icons as appropriate). :D
Attachments
My Blender Icon Organization Suggestion.jpg
Tiles

Post by Tiles »

Will not happen in Blender. Ton is convinced that humans cannot remember more than 30 icons. He mentions it in the video. But yeah, the same humans are forced to remember 1200 hotkeys, without any visual hint XD

As Steinie mentioned, the Blender developers are very set with their opinions. And especially the UI field is something where you simply cannot convince them. It's a club where you are just welcome when you think equal. Which both isn't necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately in Blender it is, in more than one area. The picture says it all.

Anyways, there is Bforartists for good reason. We have icons. We have left click select. And a ton of other improvements. So no need to live with the wrong decisions anymore :)
Attachments
futureofblender.jpg
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http://reinerstilesets.de
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

well, if they want to have more users, they should make it as customisable and as modular as possible.

I love the approach of modular software like Miranda-NG (or miranda-im) where you have a core and you have have different look, skins, then you add plugins to add functions you need, you have some preinstalled functions that are also plugins, so if you dont need them, you can simply remove them - ALL is modular (if you delete all plugins you have only a blank window i think). That is genial. The app can look totally different at each user if he wishes so. Different look, different features even. Ofc if you dont want to mess with it, you have some basic preset installation that is usable right "from the box".
If blender would be the same like it would be some code, core, feature set and others could make their own UI on top etc., it would be the best sw for ALL users.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Tiles

Post by Tiles »

That's the idea for the 101 project. Rooms for different tasks, with different toolsets. I just don't trust the current developers to be able to really develop it in the way that you mean here. It's the same staff that is responsible for the current UI. And what i have seen so far from Blender 2.8 UI was discouraging. But maybe they surprise us. Fingers crossed :)
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http://reinerstilesets.de
FHembree
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by FHembree »

It looks like someone at Blender had the same idea that I did and added icons to side menu: :D
See U-tube VIdeo :bananamouse:

https://youtu.be/cRmTFsMw8O0
Attachments
Icon-01.jpg
Icon-02.jpg