Strange Windows 8 Problem

A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Strange Windows 8 Problem

Post by Finis »

Windows 8.1 Pro

Folders in the Documents folder and in Downloads can't be renamed. The buttons or icons to rename or delete them are not active in File Explorer (formerly called Windows Explorer. Right clicking on the folders crashes File Explorer. The right click crash happens on the open file screen in Daz and other programs too. They have the Read Only attribute set and my efforts to unset that don't work.

I recently installed Spybot Search and Destroy. I wonder if this is related to that? Its immunization feature maybe?

Norton full scan found nothing. Norton Power Eraser (detect rootkits) found nothing. Spybot full scan found nothing. I haven't done Spybot's rootkit scan yet because it takes forever and warns not to do stuff while it is running.

Any ideas?
Death to the parasites.
Send in the scoops.

bitkar
Captain

Re: Strange Windows 8 Problem

Post by bitkar »

I had similar issue lately... When I tried to rename a folder, it sayed it doesnt exist. This was due to a win update (dont know which exactly) which broke some registry entries.
I got this repaired by copying working win8 (from my work PC) registry to my PC and its ok now. I still have it on my google disk, so i can send you the reg files.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)

spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

After a bit of research, some of it here: http://www.eightforums.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The problem might be the hidden desktop.ini file in the documents folder. Try renaming or deleting it. Seems a lot of folks with similar problems solved it like this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... documents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then there was this:

"You have also mentioned that the File explorer crashes constantly and you are unable to open File explorer from the task bar. This issue could be caused due to some corrupts system files. I would suggest you to perform a System File Check. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Refer to these steps to perform a SFC scan:

a) Press Windows key +F to bring up the search Charms bar.

b) Select Everywhere in the drop down menu below search and type Command prompt.

c) Right click on the command prompt tile and select Run as Administrator.

d) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

e) Now, restart the computer."

Happy Hunting!

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks y'all. I'll try that stuff.

Thanks for offering the registry things. I installed win 8 from a CD so ultimately, if needed, I can restore from there. I should turn on the scheduled system restore point thing to make them often.

Could be a flawed win update. Could be Spybot since I noticed this soon after installing and using it. It loves to remove registry things and suspicious files. A good hidden file could look suspicious. If it is Spybot I'll tell it not to mess with those files once I find out what they are.

I ran Spybot's rootkit scan. It flagged a few files but no big alarms. Them seem like false positives.

Slightly off topic. Spybot's proxy server won't work with win 8. That's one thing I wanted from it.

EDIT:

SFC repaired some stuff but that didn't fix it. I installed some optional win 8 updates that claimed to fix issues. Didn't fix it.

No desktop.ini in the documents folder but a search revealed many in various places. One was in a copy of my documents folder from my old computer. Deleted that one but didn't expect it to have any effect. Now the right click menu works so I can rename and delete things but there are still quirks with the File Explorer.

EDIT:

After restoring the system from CD, which took hours, all is the same except I now have a new folder called windows.old. I thought the new install would write over the old one but I guess the old system is kept there just in case. File Explorer situation still as above so it is usable. Will research.

EDIT: FIXED!

Mostly fixed. I undid everything Spybot had done and uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled it and saw an option to tell it not to act on the File Explorer context menu. Then the File Explorer worked right except sometimes the delete and/or rename buttons aren't active when the right click menu does have those options. No crashing.
Death to the parasites.
Send in the scoops.