Windows 10 is really a very strange beast....

A place where have some extra fun..
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Windows 10 is really a very strange beast....

Post by BNG »

Yesterday, I upgraded to 10 and the next day I went back to Windows 7. I thought what the hell it's free and a lot of people were giving 10 kudos and rave reviews was a better overall option. It's funny how my existing IE favorites all seemed to disappear with no option to import them in to the web browser that comes with 10. Also, familiar options like control panel seemed evaporate under 10. The new OS seems to be more or less a work in progress at this point though? Any thoughts on why 10 is a better option then 7 would certainly be appreciated. Leroy.

bitkar
Captain

Re: Windows 10 is really a very strange beast....

Post by bitkar »

I dont have 10 yet, as I heard it heavily spies on you.

But the only + I have for upgrade in future is the DirectX 12, which is a HUGE step forward even compared with DX11. But ofc, its more about gaming and stuff. Its usually not for work, not even for tS :)

So i think i will live with 8.1 as long as possible, like I did with XP x64.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)

MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

I use Windows 10 at work and honestly while it's a decent OS they messed a lot with the UI for no good reason and it has a lot of unnecessary online functions (that yes, do spy on you in a sense)
If you're on Win 7 I'd say just keep it until you have absolutely no choice but to upgrade to a newer OS. That's what I'm planning to do. Hopefully Linux will be a better option in the future.

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I'll upgrade later because of 1) privacy issues. I'll wait until the threats are mostly discovered and means to blind it are better developed. 2) new stuff is full of bugs so wait for the first round or two of fixes 3) I want OS's on CD/DVD/physical media with full "bare metal" install ability. 4) For my use I don't see a significant improvement over win 8.1 pro.

As far as the interface goes most people don't like the win 8 and win 10 tiles, smart phone style, interface. Remember that there is an option to use the "desktop" interface which is very similar to XP. I had very little learning curve going from XP to win 8.1 pro using the desktop interface.

Is win 7 still getting security updates or is it like XP? You'll have to upgrade or change to something else when that stops.
Death to the parasites.
Send in the scoops.

v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Did you all hear that MS will make the decision for you? The plan is to push Windows 10 as a Windows update. They claim you will have a chance to stop the installation before it begins but... well ... you know how much I trust these guys.

Why buy a license that lasts for years when you could be paying an annual fee... or is that corporate taxation?

MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

The way updates work on my Win 10 PC at work is that it will automatically install updates, then prompt me for a restart. I can not say no, I can only reschedule. If you wait more than a week, you no longer have the option to reschedule but it will just tell you it's going to restart at a certain time and you better have all your stuff saved because it's gonna restart and there is nothing you can do about it.
This I am not cool with, at all. It's extremely pushy and I have as of yet found no way of disabling it the automatic restarts.

Also, for some reason, just shutting down your PC and booting it up again the next day does not count as a restart and it will not install updates.

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

When I upgraded to 10 on my laptop it did some weird crap with my display and I couldn't set the screen res any higher then 1024x768. The PC has a wide screen and I know the original was like 1280 and Truespace looked decent under 7. I think I'll hold off upgrading as I read that Windows 7 and 8 would be supported up until 2023 and 2025 as I recall. Why must Microsoft push so hard? It's not like they have a ton of competition.

spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Something I ran across this morning:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/malware-microsoft.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And an archived reddit thread you may also want to read:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151009194 ... ing_in_w10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck, we're all rooting for you!

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

It really is a matter of trust. What Microsoft and many other producers of software have done is lose the trust of their customers.

Perhaps there will be an exodus of nerds and rich people to linux and Apple that might make MS change or weaken it enough to open a market niche for a viable competitor. I doubt it. Probably most users don't care about these issues.

I hope a viable competitor OS appears. One that respects privacy, meets the test of everyone trying to catch it doing evil, and has all the abilities we want from OS's. I'd prefer it was a commercial product.

Unix, I mean linux, is good for nerds. (I liked Unix back when I was a programmer. You know, interface was a flashing cursor...) Apple is good for non-technical non-nerd users but costs too much. Windows serves both nerds and casual users and its gigantic "ecosystem" of available software and hardware is unmatched. So creating a real Windows competitor would be difficult. So would migrating to it if it existed. Still, I hope one appears.

As for the immediate problems of W10:
- Don't upgrade to it. Don't try it out. Don't install it.
- For a while you can prevent its forced install by changing your auto-install options.
- Secure your current OS vs. these same concerns.

As for the day when the forced install can't be stopped -- we're screwed. Accept the snooping you can't block or move to Apple or linux.
Death to the parasites.
Send in the scoops.

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

It would seem that Microsoft as well as all world governments are in inherently untrustworthy. MS, is a for profit company and loves have so much control over us all. Leroy.