weird defrag problem

A place where have some extra fun..
seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

weird defrag problem

Post by seppgirty »

Hey guys,

Have you ever heard of this problem? The other day i defragged my computer using Advanced systemcare 8 pro. When it was done it ate up almost 100 GB of storage off my hard drive. Then when i used the built in windows defrag, It ate another 80 GB or so. What the hell happened? I scanned for viruses with Avast free and there was none found.

Is my HD dying.
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
Finis
Captain

Re: weird defrag problem

Post by Finis »

Is there a log file from the defrag programs? Maybe there is info in there.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

I admit that is a strange problem. Your assumption may be correct that it is failing and certain sectors are becoming unreadable. If I were you I'd start making a backup of that drive and running a memory test.

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, it may just be Windows allocating space for a restore point.
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

I've had something similar happen to me after a defrag. After reviewing the logs (old FAT32 system windows) I found that there were many unrecoverable and bad sectors that were blocked out (i.e. no headers assigned).

I just took it that the hard disk was going bad for whatever reason, bought a new HD and carried on. :bananacool2:
Walk by faith, not by sight.
seppgirty

Post by seppgirty »

I'm looking for a report now to see if i can find anything out. I keep losing storage a little at a time. I'm trying to back up to my WD My Book external drive...

I got an error on back up saying it could not save a file because of an I/O device error...

What is an I/O device?

AAARRRGGG...... This sucks. :evil:
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Yes, sounds like a hard-drive failure. The i/o device is the hard-drive. Looks likes clusters are dying like flies in a pesticide cloud.... I hope you can back up everything soon. Best to do it piece by piece.

If you can, run a chkdsk
seppgirty

Post by seppgirty »

Backing up files right now. Is check disk a program? What's a good 1tb drive to get? Typing this on tiny 7inch tablet.

Thanks for help guys
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

chkdsk is a Windows program and already on your hard-drive. It verifies the file system integrity of a volume and fixes logical file system errors.
Do you have all the re-install disk for Windows, your programs on disk like trueSpace etc. Sometimes it is worth starting over. Of course this depends on the version Windows you have or how old your computer is. Now could be the perfect time to decide where you want to spend your money.
Too much garbage accumulates on the HD over time. That is why a fresh start might be better. The Data files are the most important for backing up if you have the program disks.
seppgirty

Post by seppgirty »

I'll look for the chkdsk program.

@ steinie

My computer is only about 2+ years old. It's an intel core i5. I'm running windows 7. (not a big fan of 8. my wife has it.) I already put money into a bigger power supply, a graphics card, Bumped up to 16 gigs of ram. So i think i'll just replace the hard drive.

Could you guys suggest a good hard drive that's at least 1 TB of storage. I tend to buy everything at new egg.

When setting up my new drive i'll probably have a few questions if you guys don't mind me asking.

Well back to the back up. :bananahi:
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Be Warned: chkdsk can take a very long time to run, you must not attempt to interrupt it or turn off the computer while it runs, and the /f or /r switches (fix problems) can cause data loss.

If you can backup or copy your files to another disk then do that before any endeavor to scan this disk for problems or fix them. Save your files first.

CHKDSK: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... hkdsk.mspx

You can use check disk from the command prompt or do this http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/62 ... s-8-a.html (scroll to option one, probably the same for win 7).
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero