Movies and TV

A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Movies and TV

Post by Finis »

Misc. TV REVIEW (possible minor spoilers)

Since PC is even reaching propaganda level and rendering otherwise entertaining shows unwatchable I guess it is part of my reviews now.

Izombie: Continues to be light fun entertainment that is fairly well done in acting, etc. Surprisingly little, if any, PC. Too much character relationships and lacking in action for my taste but overall it is pretty good.

Supergirl: Three episodes and quite entertaining. The cheap FX are good enough and there is plenty of action. The Supergirl character often presents traditional Superman/girl virtues and is mostly a good character for kids/people to admire. The comic book nature blends well with other aspects. Likely PC: black Jimmy Olsen. One of the best actors on the show he deserves the part. PC is mostly men are bad and "now my daughter has someone to admire". Females can only admire females? Half Polynesian half Eskimo trans-fluid-gender pan sexual rugby players can only admire ... the oldest strategy: divide and conquer. How about anyone can admire anyone they perceive as virtuous or accomplished? There is an anti-individual pro collectivist theme though actions are good old teamwork. Bipolar Superman references present him as a hero but he is also used as a focus of "male = bad". Surprisingly, they actually said "Superman fights for truth, justice, and the American way" as a positive. Trivia: Her cape is sheep skin and there is a corset-like harness under the suit to manage the weight. The Earth parents are played by former superman Dean Cain and former supergirl Helen Slater.

Blindspot: Did I mention "reaching propaganda level"? This was doing great on most aspects but descended into mega-PC. The good stuff is still good but it if that continues it will be unwatchable.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Star Trek Axanar

About: https://youtu.be/S6TXDDoADIY

UPDATE:
Jan. 19 2016
CBS and Paramont are suing Axanar http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... aws-851474. Star Trek is their property and can and should be able to determine who can do what with it but I think they should be nicer to fan films. Even ones as well funded and professional as Axanar. There could even be money to be made by cooperating with some fan films. On the other hand one of the Axanar producers is a lawer (I think) and he should have know better than to proceed without something in writing authorizing it.
Last edited by Finis on 19 Jan 2016, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

The Man in the High Castle

Could be interesting. I didn't read the book.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

REVIEW

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Spoiler Free.

4.6 stars of 5 on the entertainment meter. It's fun. I recommend seeing it. Astounding because it is Disney but there is little if any PC. There are things that probably were PC by intent not in nature. Except Capt. Phasma. "I have a bad feeling about this."

Good: It has the Star Wars feel. FX are great. Acting good. Story: interesting, fun, plenty of action. I like the new heroine and hero and the actors did a good job.

Not so good: Character development is a bit shallow as are various story points. Star Wars is not meant to be great drama but the original (ep. 4) had more depth and connection to story and character where this is, well, shallow. I don't like the casting of Kylo Ren. These things and youth of much of the cast made sense when I realized that it was targeted mostly toward teens. Ep. 4 was devoted to its story and so had diverse appeal. There are errors and not well thought out things that don't belong in a two-hundred-million dollar movie. There is too much similarity to past Star Wars stories. There are three groups, the First Order, the Republic, and the Resistance. Any association of the resistance with the Republic is not clear nor if the Republic is opposing the Frist Order directly. That sounds like a lot but it detracts little from enjoying the movie.

I prefer 2D but missed the cheap early showing so I went to the cheap 3D. The 3D, or my 3D glasses, or whatever was not good. There were ghosts and blurry areas sometimes. That was present even with one eye closed. I don't like giving Disney money but I would have gone again to the 2D but it is out of the theaters now. Thinking about going to Las Cruces to see it again. Long drive but I haven't been out of town in a while.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Saw Star Wars on 3D and IMAX BIG Screen and it was an awsome visual experience !
Other then that well its just another Star Wars ! ;)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

#VoteCamacho
https://vimeo.com/82074066

I the words of Spacekdet, "I'll just leave this here."
https://vimeo.com/39158857
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Entertaining. Weird. https://vimeo.com/153829175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Person of Interest Returns

Person of Interest is back for season 5. It will be a short season with 13 episodes. Season premiere is on Tuesday May 3. See below about the unusual schedule for the show times.

Weird thing 1: The schedule. Looks like new episodes are on twice a week on Monday and Tuesday. The premiere is Tuesday May 3 then a new episode on Monday May 9 and another new one on Tuesday May 10.

Weird thing 2: This is very likely the last season but network executives say different things about that being definite. Michael Emerson, "Harold Finch", has said vaguely hopeful things like it might not be the last season. CBS selling it to Netflix or Amazon is also hinted as a possibility. Writers say the last episode is written so it can be a series finale or a season finale.

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Huh, they canceled the Limitless TV series and no one like sci fi channel or netflix picked it up. Weird, I thought it was the network's number two show.

Interesting short film. Too much Fahrenheit 451 but nicely done.

Looks good.

Too much romance for me but I'll watch when it is legally free on the web.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

REVIEW

Doctor Strange

4.7 stars of 5 on the entertainment meter. Good: Pretty much everything. Much fun. There are "easter eggs" referring to other movies and at least two cameos. Lots of magic and action. Bad: Only minor flaws. It is to long. FX is great but there is a sameness to the style that given the length of the movie and frequent use becomes a negative factor. A character says "greater good". Points off for that but it is the only PC in the movie.

Some FX looks like it's done with Mandlebulb. Wait through the end credits for a bonus.