A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Movies and TV

Post by Finis »

Ex Machina
(From the Machine)

Likes: AI, FX, possibly explores various related issues intelligently, could be surprises in the plot.

Gripes: Related issues likely explored from PC view. Trailer hints at tired old plot twist that one of the humans is really an AI. Probably not a lot of action.
Last edited by Finis on 28 Dec 2014, 04:58, edited 3 times in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

The Age of Adaline

Might watch this if is on TV or legally free on the web someday.

Likes: Might treat her immortality more with more depth than the usual movie with that theme. Looks like it might be a well done movie.

Gripes: Romance not my thing. I fear appropriation of her wisdom (from such a long life) to give unearned value to statements or even a monologue supporting something unwise.

I predict a happy ending where her love interest reveals that he is like her and they live happily ever after ... eeeeeeeever after.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Terminator Genisys

Gripes: Sequels have not been good (fun action though) with the exception of Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles (TV series).
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

REVIEW

Jupiter Ascending

I give it 3.7 of 5 stars on the entertainment meter. Plenty of FX and action but lacking in other ways. I'd say it is fun and worth seeing at the theater for the FX but don't expect much from the story.

The FX are phenomenal. Fantastic cities and worlds. The action is great but sometimes a little hard to follow with too many and too short cuts. The acting from Kunis and the alien good guys was better than the script deserved. I'm not talking about award winning performances but pretty good. The royal people's acting varied in quality but was adequate. There are some good or interesting ideas in the story but they aren't developed and there are also parts of exceptional stupidity. There is some really cool tech.

While I didn't expect it to be great cinema the story, where it exists at all, is poorly written, poorly thought out, and is inconsistent in style. It is like they didn't know what kind of movie they wanted to make. Some is serious; some comic book like; while a third style was artsy-silly-funny (like The Fifth Element). The third type was the best done part imo but that style was terribly out of place in this movie. The serious and comic book parts could have been used together effectively ... but weren't. The story is 2 1/2 hours of a multitude of bits and pieces that aren't woven together or developed.

I saw the 3D version. That had pros and cons. I think much of the action would have been better in 2D. Mila Kunis in 3D is so hot that her butt must leave scorch marks on furniture. The depth was exaggerated which made many scenes, especially close ups, look strange but it succeeded in making things of vast scale look enormous.
Last edited by Finis on 13 Feb 2015, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

It looks like Tomorrow Land is unwatchable. More previews and critic reviews indicate it is a mixture of extreme PC and propaganda that only Disney can achieve. Too bad since it is probably otherwise entertaining. However, I haven't seen it (maybe watch on TV someday) and hopefully I'm wrong.

This TV show, iZombie is pretty good based on the couple of episodes I've seen. Yeah it's time for the zombie thing to go away for decade or two but this has an interesting twist on brain eating and is done in an entertaining way.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I felt the Avengers: Age of Ultron was a bit of the same... I knew the Avengers would be watered down by the huge amount of characters having like 10 minutes of screen time and story to develop each, but yeah... it gets all like one huge commercial that's really well done!

Marvel and Disney... technique and marketing are excellent, but still lacking in story these days, no?

Though, I did enjoy the film.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

@Draise Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with Age of Ultron either. They say Whedon had to cut a lot of the more "extreme" scenes that included less serious dialogue and more graphic violence though. I wonder if they will ever made a Directors Cut for that film, I'm like to see it.

@Finis Ex Machina was pretty good actually. I agree Jupiter Ascending was a wasted opportunity, in the end it was just an alright sci-fantasy film.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Draise and Mikom.

Spacekdet: That design artist has a great job. It would be awesome to do that for living.

"Whedon". Well that alone would scratch Age of Ultron off the watchable list. Too many characters, like Draise said, for me so I wasn't going to watch it anyway.

I want to see Ex Machina. It is in limited release so it is at few theaters. If it does well in limited release, and it is so far, then it could go to more theaters. Being an independent film some theaters won't or can't show it because they are bound to the "Hollywood system". I think the theater here (monopoly) is unlikely to show it. For now I'd have to drive 80 miles to El Paso or maybe 60 to Las Cruces (nearest cities) to see it.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Well I wouldn't drive that far to go see it. It's pretty good but not /that/ good. There aren't a lot of surprises in the film and the ending is a little sudden leaving you wondering what happens next, something you will most likely never find out (unless they make a sequel).