Movies and TV

A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Movies and TV

Post by Finis »

The Machine

A low budget (one million pounds is low budget?) film about an AI. Looks like great special effects even with the budget constraints. Might be good. Surely it is entertaining.

Likes: Sci-Fi, AI, FX, actress does her own stunts and plays two parts, Action.
Gripes: None yet. Have to see it.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Looks funny. An 11 minute short film. Not sure where to see it.

Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

REVIEW

Edge of Tomorrow

Surprisingly good! I give it 4.5 stars of 5 on the enjoyment meter. Action Sci Fi. Fun. Lots of action. Looooooots of action. Almost everything is FX of many types.

Cruz and Blunt do a good job of acting including how the characters grow or change from their experiences and the supporting actors give their characters character. The restart the day phenomenon is shown and used thoughtfully both as a story element and by the characters. Although nearly non stop action it has an interesting story with some good twists. There are a few places where license is taken to create dramatic situations or plot elements of course and 2 or 3 of those go far enough to require extra "suspension of disbelief" to stay in "enjoy the entertainment" mode. No problem for me. It was free of PC and upheld some virtues that PC'ness despises.

My main gripe is with one overly dramatized scene where even equipped with tons of "suspension" ability I was pulled out of the story and caused to think about the writing and directing. Emily Blunt's character is a hero and famous so it is necessary to pump up that perception but the scene where Cruz finds her (due to "When you wake up come find me.") is way over done, the location and circumstances are silly, and although she is a sergeant she seems to be allowed to do as she pleases. The scene does provide the entertainment value of a good looking athletic lady covered with sweat ... shining, glistening ... oh yeah review ...

Impressive physical ability for the actors given that the exo suits weighed 100 lbs (Cruz) and 85 lbs (Blunt).
Last edited by Finis on 01 Jul 2014, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! I really wanted to watch that in theaters, but I missed it. I read an article on the making of, it was impressive how they rigged the creatures.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Draise, it is still in theaters here. I hope you can catch it there too. Yeah, the FX are big screen worthy. I never see them in 3D but this one might be interesting that way.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

REVIEW

Lucy

That was disappointing. 2.5 stars of 5 on the enjoyment meter. It does have fun action and super powers. That is countered by low quality story telling elements and other problems.

Avoiding spoilers:

If it was like the trailer then it would be pretty good but it is not the level of quality of the trailer. The main bad things were the, um, less-than-well-informed science or knowledge presented and some scenes in the first part, mostly of animals, that are used to illustrate what is happening in the story or Morgan Freeman speaking to explain story concepts. That was really bad.

Main good things: Enjoyable FX and action and super powers. Morgan Freeman was not acting his best but he was still quite impressive. Scarlett Johansson did two characters: before the drug and after. She demonstrated that she is good and is competent for certain lead roles. There were no episodes of bad acting. I expected Lucy's expanded consciousness to be used for PC statements or even a speech but her pronouncements were mostly not like that.

There are no surprises of the plot twist type.

The theater turned the volume to 11. Fortunately I remembered to take my ear plugs.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Blade Runner 2. No movie soon but it has been written. Here.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Person of Interest season 4 premier September 23, 2014.

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Tomorrowland

In theaters May 2015. This early trailer looks interesting.

Gripes: It is from Disney so it may be really PC. Maybe not.