Movies and TV

A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Movies and TV

Post by Finis »

We like computer graphics and FX in movies. Post 'em here.

Jupiter Ascending
Special effects extravaganza.

Saw it. REVIEW here.

Likes: Mila Kunis, maximum FX unless the trailer shows them all.

Gripes: Some FX look a little goofy. I don't like it when the FX quality is not consistent. I'll probably gripe about PC after I see it because it probably is PC.

March 27, 2014 New trailer.

Release delayed until February 2015.

New trailer:

Last edited by Finis on 13 Feb 2015, 03:51, edited 7 times in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Jupiter Ascending

Post by Steinie »

Gulp!!! :bananaclaus:
Finis
Captain

Re: Movies and TV

Post by Finis »

Transcendence

Saw it. Review here.

There is also a trailer with an anti-AI group.

Likes: Looks like fun, maybe a good movie, likely lots of FX and sci fi. I like the trailer with the circuit board patterns going together with the light in them at the end. It is a "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" thing.

Gripes: Just nitpicks. The being in question began as an uploaded human mind -- not purely artificial. That's a theme of the movie of course but I'd like to see a completely artificial, non-human, intelligence in the movie too.

March 27, 2014 New trailer.
Last edited by Finis on 26 Apr 2014, 23:51, edited 2 times in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

New trailers for Jupiter Ascending and Trancendence above.

Edge of Tomorrow

Saw it. Review here.

Gripes: Does the trailer have most of the action scenes? Will the replays of the day be boring?
Last edited by Finis on 30 Jun 2014, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Knights of Badassdom

http://youtu.be/_JSggaU2X1Q

Likes: Summer Glau, heart licking demon, "There be monsters in need of pummelin'".

Gripes: When and where will this be released?
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

REVIEW

I saw Transcendence. I give it 4 stars of 5 if you are a nerd who understands what it is about. If you aren't then much of what happens would be incomprehensible.

Transcendence trailers here.

It is nicely done in the cinema things like acting, directing, costumes, sets, camera work, and such. No quality problems there. The plot was surprisingly good and had little PC stuff. It treated the promise and the threat of such a development pretty fairly. I have a few nit picks but they would be spoilers and aren't significant anyway. There is action, cool tech, a love story, heroism, and interesting plot twists. You don't see much of the movie in the trailers.

Critics didn't like it. They usually don't like, or understand, sci if. For a few minutes I thought I would get a private showing. No one else was in the theater but then two people arrived. I did see a movie at a theater with no other viewers there once. It was Quetzalcoatl with David Carradine.

You do have to be a nerd who understands AI, computer stuff, and nano tech. Otherwise you won't know what is going on.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Lucy

Saw it: review here

Likes: Action, FX, Sci fi, metaphysical super powers, transcendence, Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman.

Gripes: The idea that we only use a small portion of our brains is long discredited but it is a good premise for a movie. There are other movies based on this theme like Limitless. Holding gun sideways.

This is kind of like Transcendence with the theme of what happens when a Human becomes superhuman but this looks like more fun and less serious.
Last edited by Finis on 27 Jul 2014, 02:19, edited 2 times in total.
FHembree
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by FHembree »

Thanks. these are great. I usually wait until they are out on red-box, but may make a exception for transcendence.

It a little bit old now but I liked Oblivion, especially for the visual effects (and also the story).
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks FHembree.

Person of Interest (television)

I like this TV show. It doesn't have the usual CG effects but they are used to visualize the machine's thinking and subtly throughout the show.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/

I couldn't find a good recap of this show. It case you might watch it you'll need to catch up so: Brilliant computer guy Harold creates an AI and the the machinery needed to run it. He and the rich guy who paid for it did this to predict big threats and prevent them. They sold use of it to the government for $1 but didn't tell them where it was* because they don't trust the government to have full access to it. The government gives the machine "nsa feeds" (input from every camera, microphone, and computer in the world) and it gives them info. on likely perpetrators of large scale mayhem.

The machine, called Northern Lights by the govt., also finds ordinary crimes about to happen but the govt. considers these irrelevant. Harold does not so he made a back door where it calls him and gives the social security numbers of people involved in the likely crime. Harold and his helpers Reese (ex CIA), Shaw (former govt. agent who was sent to deal with threats the machine predicted), and Fusco (police detective) then try to figure out who's the victim and who's the perpetrator and prevent the crime.

Harold is a super hacker who uses his skills to get info. to solve the "cases". He is also very rich which helps. Reese and Shaw beat people up and shoot them in the knees. Fusco uses police resources and arrests the bad guys. "Root", a super hacker and sociopath, was introduced last season (?). She had knowledge of the machine and wanted to find it. She had one of the best lines in the show. Harold (she kidnapped him) says she will never be able to control the machine. Root: "I don't want to control it. I want to set it free." They go to Hanford but the machine is gone. Harold already freed it and it fooled the people there into shipping it to an unknown location. Mysteriously, it still gets the "feeds" or maybe it just hacked into everything. It still gives the govt. info. on mayhem and gives Harold numbers ... and speaks to Root who (per FX of its thinking) it calls "analog interface". Root sort of worships it and calls it "her".

There are two organizations that appear too. Decima and Vigilance. Vigilance is a privacy group that uses violence against govt. violation of privacy. Decima is a mysterious and powerful group of unclear but likely sinister motives.

The latest development is Samaritan. Another AI that a past coworker of Harold's made. Decima has it but it is not fully functional yet.

* later an inconsistency in the show places the machine at Hanford presumably in the government's possession.
FHembree
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by FHembree »

I have been watching this program for about a year now and agree that its is a excellent program.

I was watching a news story the other day and saw a report about a city that was testing a real time surveillance system. (the story is over a year old).

"Eyes Over Compton: How Police Spied on a Whole City"

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... er/360954/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VkKeM-OK6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;