Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Movies and TV

Post by Finis »

REVIEW

Star Wars: The rise of Skywalker

Spoiler free.

Entertaining and pretty good. I give it 4.7 of 5 on the entertainment meter. I recommend watching it.

What a pleasant surprise! I read that it was not good and was so full of PC stuff that it was nearly unwatchable. Since it is Disney I would expect that and J. J. Abrams usually means not worth watching. Maybe that article was not a review but what someone expected? Instead is was entertaining, pretty good story, and I didn't see any PC.

Pros:
I suspected it would be sci-fi but not really Star Wars feel and style. It did have Star Wars feel and style! Some of that came from elements borrowed from previous episodes but the new stuff had it too. The CG and effects are great, used appropriately, and not overdone like some episodes. There is a lot of action. The acting was quite good.

Cons:
A bit too much action. More character and story development would be good and is part of the Star Wars style. The power level of some characters was entertaining but also overdone. I think part of that is unearned power. It is where a character has great power, like superheroes, but didn't have to work to gain or develop it. I see that often in stories intended for adolescent to youth audiences. This movie does have broad audience appeal and the characters did train and study but the vast portion of their power is innate.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4

Big Dune nerd from way back so I have high hopes for this reboot.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

cool... i liked the old movie (and the game)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

Pretty cool preview with floyd thrown in!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

New Dune trailer looks promising.

Eventually I intend to model the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco as a CG project. Looking for references I found this. Watch the film. Then watch again and look at the birds and the people. They are so well choreographed to the camera movement, when they enter a scene, how they move in harmony with the film that it almost could be FX. It is real.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Interesting. I hope there will be a English dubbed version.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I haven't seen any movies for a while. Theaters were closed during the cooties thing but mostly it is that they are too "woke" to watch.

What have you watched lately?

Now I mostly watch some vloggers for escapism and curiosity.

Lately farming has my interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jv-lNZgd8g Beauty gets your interest started here but she tells interesting things about farming, farm equipment, and has good decent all American girl vibes.

Cole the Cornstar is informative too. More behind the scenes and straight explanations (sometimes charts and graphs) of the business side.

Before the Ukraine invasion I escaped to Russia watching vloggers tell about regular life there. Surprising how similar to USA it was in some ways. Now of course they have shut up to avoid jail or left the country and vlog about the war and Russia's deterioration. Some stuff I don't hear much in USA news like mobilization, exodus of businesses, effects of sanctions, what Russians are told, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/@INSIDERUSSIA This guy was good for Russian life on the more prosperous side. Now he live streams from another country and supposedly helps refugees from U. and R. Much is to get donations but the news of Russia's inner changes is often ominously like things in America. He lived in the US for a while and says, "Russia is my mother. America is my father."
Last edited by Finis on 25 Oct 2023, 00:03, edited 3 times in total.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Who has seen movies? Anything interesting?
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

Oppenheimer has any seen it yet? Finis this one is close to home for you!
I always liked this Director’s work.