IK Skeleton Blow Out

lrdsatyr8
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

IK Skeleton Blow Out

Post by lrdsatyr8 »

OK... here's the situation. You've rigged up a perfect human IK skeleton... you save it in your object library. You load a solid human mesh inported from Poser. You move the joints from a front/side view to make sure teh skeleton lines up with the mesh and apply it to the skin. You begin to bend the figure and realize that some of the meticulous joint movements are now out of whack. You try to bend the knee and it bends outward in a very odd manner. So you go in to edit the skeleton, and rotate the hinge joint back in the direction that it should be in, and all the sudden, now another joint is not only WAY out of whack, but you've blown your mesh into an unrecognizable mess. Only option is to start over again from scratch! Am I doing something wrong here or is this just a glitch in the IK saving/applying routines that can't be avoided?
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: IK Skeleton Blow Out

Post by Draise »

Are you in trueSpace WS or MS side?

Ehm, there are a number of guidelines you should use before you apply the skin in WS.

-Do not use Full Contraints (use a combination of position and rotation constraints as an alternative - modified Full Contraints will blow your rig - a known bug)
-Make sure your skin is frozen and set to the center of the world with SRT at 0,0,0;0,0,0;1,1,1 - or flatten the axis before applying the weights.
-Make sure your IK handles are set to FK (less bugs), turn everything else off, and turn the quality up to maximum.
-Make sure you set a Default Pose

If you saved your skelaton apart, and your skin apart - then you are good. just restart the skinning process once you are ready with the new skelaton changes

If you edit a joint and bone with a skin already applied, the skin will also rotate with the joint, ruining your mesh - possibly blowing up the weights. It is best to do structural changes before you apply the skin. It can be done... on by healing the skin weights before using the rig, but it can be tedious to reconfigure your weights.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

If you seriously want to animate a character in trueSpace, you should use Modeler's plugin MotionStudio.

From my experience, trueSpace's native bones system (both WP and Modeler ones) can handle simple objects with a few joints, but is not reliable enough for complex animation.
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

lrdsatyr8 wrote:Am I doing something wrong
Yes. You are trying to use trueSpace to animate a chacter.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
lrdsatyr8
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by lrdsatyr8 »

Actually I'm not trying to do animation at all... All I'm trying to do is reposition arms/legs of a static figure. I'm not trying to create a full animation.