Maya style box widget for ts6.6 modelside

Smart people ~ Great Scripts
stan
Master Chief Petty Officer

Maya style box widget for ts6.6 modelside

Post by stan »

Thanks to DD for his original work in VB with the MagicBox.tsx that I ported to VS and made this version of the box widget with only 220 vertices and 378 faces vs 465 vertices and 2390 faces. Adding functionality and tool tips in the info bar. It now can move from one ortho view to another in one click. Also added camera view in upper corners.
widg1 copy.jpg
widg2 copy.jpg
MayaBoxWidget.zip
In a future version I want to add perspective views in all corners like in Maya if I can get past the zoom issue. One known issue is that using the zoom icon the widget moves out of view or inward. With mouse scrolling for zoom it doesn't happen.

Works in ts6.6 and higher.

On installing you must go into Icon helper and add "Backspace" to the hotkey of 3D Controls ( Enable controls)so the widget shows instantly on changing back to perspective view. If not you must move the view a bit to get it to show.
helper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_ant
Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Maya style box widget for ts6.6 modelside

Post by the_ant »

Great Stan!!! :bananahi: :bananacool2:
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Thank you very much Stan,
I like the new features a lot !
As always, you take a tool and push it beyond its limits :)

The current colors are a bit aggressive to my eyes though. DD's Magic Box colors were soft and I like them.
For red it was RGB 255;173;173
green it was RGB 104;195;104,
and blue RGB 17;168;225,
Could you make a version of your box widget with these colors ?
stan

Post by stan »

Emmanuel,the colours can be altered in next version, bear in mind there is four colours for R, four for G, and four for B.example: Front, back, and the two side bars for F&B. This is because the widget must use material id as the trigger. I didn't really like that it reacts to changes in lighting either. It can get very dark. I can add more alpha in general to soften, that is the last number,there are four numbers in each material not three. (RGBA)
stan

Post by stan »

Ok here is the original colours and Emmanuel's colours..Downloads have an oc(original) or e(Emmanuel)
MayaBoxWidgete.rar
MayaBoxWidgetoc.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Thank you again Stan. I like this one a lot.
Having an option panel to customize the colors would be nice. For example people could choose to leave all faces of the cube all grey, like in Maya, and paint letters only in their respective colors.
Setting a custom size would be nice also...

Okay, now I stop requesting :mrgreen:
stan

Post by stan »

Emmanual, I don't think it would be easy to let people choose colour . I must do this:
(blue)
15,168,225,255, //FRONT
16,168,225,255, //BACK
17,168,225,255, //FRONT M
18,168,225,255, //BACK M
or I get a dword error if any are the same so the grey idea which I like is harder to do. Not impossible but the greys would need to be different for all rectangles. The letters could be the colour but at the moment they are all one colour and not active which is much easier.
As for custom size it might be possible. I can make a right click on the cube open a window or droplist or get rid of the message box on the icon and put it there. I think you would have to either close ts or go to workspace and back to show the change.
Can you show a screen shot of the widget in your view.. So I can get an idea of what others see. I'm using the original size and it's fine in my screen res..
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Size is fine on small views. On large sceen it could be reduced a bit. Nothing dramatic though :)
screen capture01.jpg
stan

Post by stan »

The sizing can be done without leaving model space. First right click the icon, menu pops up , choose a size preset, then right click the perspective widget. Size changed.
sizing.jpg
At the moment I just have perspective working. It would be easiest to size ortho with the same preset on the menu.
stan

Sizable Maya style box widget for ts6.6 modelside

Post by stan »

Here is the sizable version. Both OC and E versions are in the rar file
MayaBoxWidgetPak.rar