Space Engineers Mod Project

Game Engines, Projects and more
MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by MikomDude »

Recently (as recent as today actually) I started getting into modding Space Engineers. This Minecraft-like spaceship building game offers a lot of fun game-play ideas such as crashing ships into space stations, crashing ships into asteroids and finally crashing ships into each other. Needless to say, the destruction physics (though they do require a pretty powerful PC) are really cool to watch.

One thing the game still lacks though (other than an FPS higher than 40) is contents. There are a few basic blocks, some lights, very limited engineering pieces and various gravity control-blocks.
A lot of the assets aren't even finished yet and have very basic textures/models. Luckily what it lacks in appearance it makes up for in easy modding. Well, I won't say it's that easy but as long as you have some version of 3DS Max or Maya (or any other 3D app that can export to FBX), a decent knowledge of DDS texturing/exporting in either GIMP or Photoshop then you should be set.

A normal model conversion process goes as follows:

1. Export model to FBX (keep note of the material names in your 3D app)

2. Make an XML file (more info here)
(2.5) Tweak XML file to include textures and specularity.

3. Generate MWM file using MwmBuilder (Comes stock with the game on Steam! Can be found in the Space Engineers Steam directory)

4. Either replace the model you're modifying or create a new entry in the relevant SBC file (more info here)

Personally I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun modding this game. Naturally anyone here is welcome to join me! :bananatyping:
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

I started by converting one of my models as a test:

This was my SU 47 model I made a few years back.

Next I decided to replace the horrible looking stock machine gun with something more to my liking. I decided to go for the TCO-14 model I made last year for the Interstellar Marines project.

When I successfully got the model into the game. I realized that the stock iron sights wouldn't do (I had ported them over to make sure they aligned properly). This is when I remodeled and re-textured the Holosights I had made for another Interstellar Marines concept, the FCO pistol.

After that I simply sorted out some texture issues related to the emissive-channel not working properly. With that fixed, it was pretty much done.

Next I think I'll try to get my SWX-series Interceptor into the game:

Somehow....
clintonman
Captain

Re: Space Engineers Mod Project

Post by clintonman »

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make for the game. Maybe you can make some videos showing your models being used in the game.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

clintonman wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing what you make for the game. Maybe you can make some videos showing your models being used in the game.
I might just do that when I have gotten the hang of importing models with a faster workflow. Right now I'm going to try importing parts of my SWX-6 (or the craft as a whole) and hopefully be able to add multiple build nodes for blocks, that way I'll be able to add thrusters and reactors without having to build a frame of blocks around it like I did with the SU-47 jet model.
I also still have to figure how to make transparent textures... something which seems rather impossible as the Alpha channel for the Diffuse texture is used for glow and the A channel for Normals maps is used for specularity. I think the answer lies in 3DS Max, you need to change the opacity in some specific kind of way, experimented around with that some yesterday. No luck though. I'll have to keep trying to find the right settings.
Online information on the subject seems very limited if it exists at all. It's still a very new game so the modding community isn't very big.
MikomDude
Captain

Space Engineers Mod Project - SWX

Post by MikomDude »

Remodeled and imported the SWX Interceptor:

seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by seppgirty »

looks cool mikom. Happy modding.
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
DanX
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by DanX »

hey nice stuff! Are you still modding this game?
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Thanks! Not the moment, no. I have work and some other projects that I am working on now. But there are a lot of great mods for Space Engineers out there now that the game has official mod support and Steam workshop integration.
DanX
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by DanX »

Some friends have been asking me to consider helping them with some mods for this recently. Only right now I don't really have the time. Working on networking a simple space Sim with Unity right now. That, a regular job and family.
Like your ships, TrueSpace?
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Yes, I use trueSpace for pretty much all of my models. Sometimes Sculptris as well. I had to use 3Ds Max to export these models though. Clintonman's FBX plugin came in handy there.