Jewelry U3DAC April

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Jewelry U3DAC April

Post by Finis »

Guess I have time for a speed modeling challenge. Jewelry needs jewels. Experimenting. Jewel is a TS 7.6 primitive modified with the right click menus. Render in Kerkythea PM+FG. I notice there is no fire. No colorful prism sparkles. Some Thea pictures show a spectrum rainbow from a prism. I'll try MLT later.
Attachments
U3DACjewelry_temp.jpg
An average female is 5 IQ points dumber than an average male. An average male is 5 points dumber than a fish.
Finis
Captain

Re: Jewelry U3DAC April

Post by Finis »

Here is a test with MLT render in KT. 61 cycles. I got no rainbow effect with the blue glass material so I gave it the abbe number of sapphire (72.2) for dispersion and sapphire's index of refraction = this picture. I will use photon mapping for the render since it has good looking caustics and is pretty. Now to model some jewelry.
Attachments
Jewel with dispersion and IOR of sapphire. KT render.
Jewel with dispersion and IOR of sapphire. KT render.
An average female is 5 IQ points dumber than an average male. An average male is 5 points dumber than a fish.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Still experimenting. I'll start from scratch for the finished one. This explores two things. A DAZ Studio figure modeling the jewelry and modeling intertwined chains.

The double chain, modeled in Hexagon, started as a helix. I bent that around a circle which produced a wavy squarish shape. Not sure why it didn't fit the circle better. A rotated copy made the second chain.

I'll put several small gems and a pendant on the chains.

Then I fooled with the standard DS figure's face some and applied some hair, clothes, texture, and pose that came with the program. The chains are very difficult to position in DS. If I knew Blender I'd use physics or cloth or such to place them. This is a 3Delight render via DS.

If Steinie doesn't ok using the figure, since I didn't make it from scratch then I'll model a simple stand. If ok then I'll export it for use in TS and Kerkythea.
Attachments
U3DACjewelry_temp.jpg
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

2 hours 15 minutes so far. Modeled in Hexagon. It will probably go to TS next for simple UV's.

Two intertwined chains. One with gems. The gems have simple settings modeled too. I used the method noted before: helix bent around a circle copy and rotate. Then I used the other bend tool (the one with taper etc.) to bend both chains so they might fit a person better. The gem is a modified sphere. I placed copies of the gem and setting group on the chain with the lay on tool.

The chain with gems will be gold with a bump map or, if in DAZ Studio, maybe a displacement map. The other will be similar but platinum. Not sure yet what color the gems will be.

The DS character will export with textures but doesn't look great in Kerkythea. I think it would take a lot of work on the materials in KT and I don't get colorful dispersion sparkles so I will probably render in DS if I use the character.
Attachments
U3DACjewelry_temp.jpg
U3DACjewelry_temp2.jpg
U3DACjewelry_temp3.jpg
U3DACjewelry_temp3.jpg (6.17 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I used Booleans in Hexagon to make this display stand from the DAZ model. The materials are from the Kerkythea forum or downloads section. KT render PM+FG five minutes. About 30 minutes making the stand so that's 2 hours 45 minutes so far. I'll get the necklace and stand into Hexagon and fit it to the neck better. Then I'll try different KT render methods and a DAZ render.
Attachments
U3DACjewelry_temp.jpg
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

3 hours 50 minutes so this is it.

A little effort at fitting the intertwined chains and it was clear that would take too long. So I made a single chain in Hexagon. To fit it to the neck and shoulders I shaped a cylinder to intersect the display stand from the previous picture where a necklace would go. Then I applied Boolean intersection and selected the edges along the "necklace edge". Extracting that as a curve and giving it thickness made the new chain. Then I applied the gem and setting groups with the lay on tool. If I had more time I'd put 2 to 4 smaller gems on the back of the necklace.

Here is a quick render. Kerkythea with photon mapping and final gather. The display stand needs gloss like the previous (plastic) image but darker and marble. The chain needs the flat modifier for the material so its polygons give a faceted or segmented look. More lights and try MLT render.
Attachments
U3DACjewelry_temp.jpg
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

oooh! Me likey a lot!

Looks like it is ready for display in a front window for a store.
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks James.

The emeralds were too dark without MLT rendering so I used it. 50 cycles. The display has my fossil rock texture available in Free Stuff from Finis http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... =31&t=1663. The fossil texture didn't look as intended but made an interesting pattern. The UV was probably distorted by the Booleans. Lighting is a jpg free sample of a spherical HDRI of St. Nicolaus Church as the sky and two omni (point) lights. The display stand is part of a Daz Studio figure separated with Booleans in Hexagon.

Title: Emeralds and Gold
Modeling Time: 3 hours 50 minutes
Render Time: 4 hours
Software: Hexagon, Kerkythea, Daz Studio
Attachments
U3DAC_Jewelry.jpg
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

Pro!

I think the examination of the facts has clear stated the evidence at hand your honor.
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks James.

That picture is straight out of KT except Paint Shop for the signature and to increase compression for smaller file size. No tone mapping and no post production adjustments.

Here is one rendered in Daz with the necklace on the figure. I think I saw a Daz materials library with gold etc. but I couldn't find it now so the necklace has materials I made with only simple knowledge of the material system. Gems are too bright.
Attachments
NecklaceOnModel.jpg