Maximize trueSpace broken on Win 10?

MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Maximize trueSpace broken on Win 10?

Post by MikomDude »

Here's an issue that has been bugging me for several years. trueSpace doesn't maximise properly on any of my monitors.

screen.jpg
trueSpace Maximised on my screen

I always have my taskbar at the top and it seems like trueSpace is specifically made for a taskbar at the bottom because it doesn't maximise accordingly. On top of that, in Windows 10 it also adds those spaces to the side.

Apart from just running in windowed mode, like I have been for years, is there maybe (just possibly) either a fix anyone knows of for trueSpace or a more general solution for programs that misbehave in this manner on Windows PCs?
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Maximize trueSpace broken on Win 10?

Post by trueBlue »

I have tS7.6, tS7.61, and tS7.61Std running in Compatibility Mode using Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).
Reason being without it, I can see my Desktop on all sides just a little bit.
I have my Win10 taskbar on the bottom with Auto Hide.
Right click your link to tS7.61 and choose Properties.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Thanks trueBlue. Setting compatibility mode did help somewhat but the task bar issue remains. Maybe I can change the way trueSpace maximizes with a registry hack of some kind. I'll keep investigating.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Good news, nircmd saves the day (again)!

Simply running a batch file with this little code does the trick.

Code: Select all

nircmd win setsize stitle "trueSpaceBeta 7.61" 0 36 1920 1044
Hmm, would it be possible to make a script in trueSpace that runs this automatically when maximised?

Or maybe even just a button inside trueSpace that triggers this command line code? I'd just set up a macro for the command on my old keyboard (which had rows of macro keys) but I only have my laptop now...

(edit) I also found that if I maximise trueSpace with the command-line is stops responding. So while the code above works fine to change the window position to the correct place (even when maximised, but only through the GUI), I can't actually create a script that maximises trueSpace and repositions it all in one go...
Beta software indeed.

(edit 2) Got it working with Autohotkey, yay! Now I'd love to know how to make a button for it inside trueSpace.
trueBlue, Clinton?
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Might be worth a shot
Start over by removing all of your fixes. IE: Compatibility Mode and Windowed
Set your Win10 Taskbar to the bottom, with Auto Hide.
Restart Win 10
Open tS761 to see it's state and Exit
Run the Compatibility Troubleshooter
Open tS761.
If that fixes tS761, change your Taskbar to the Top.

It sounds like your other fix is just a temporary Registry modification that runs with your program.
More permeant fix you could use something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5713
I am not sure how to change tS761 window size.
At your own risk maybe you can Save your Registry after you run your program?
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Actually the command only works when trueSpace has already started up, the reason for this I think is because of the start up window/banner thing that pops up as trueSpace is loading. Otherwise it would have been quite easy to run the command with a batch file as trueSpace starts up. I was thinking that maybe I should just add a delay to when the batch file runs but trueSpace start-up times are quite unpredictable.

I'm not sure if it actually changes the registry. I think it just modifies the window position, windows does have a few functions like that.

Right now I just solved the issue of having the run the command everytime tS launches by assigning it to the windows Help function key on my laptop, a totally useless button I thought I'd never actually end up using for anything.

As for the link, I think I need some explanation as to how that's relevant...

I may try that other fix you suggested later though. Maybe it's that simple a fix after all.
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

I use TS on win10 with a 4k screen and Maximize the size work well. TS covers the entire screen and the taskbar.
I have no compatibily mode with other OS.
Maybe another setting on your OS is not correct to do that ?
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr