Best Practices for using the Bridge

Share with others..
W!ZARD
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Best Practices for using the Bridge

Post by W!ZARD » 08 Jul 2009, 05:05

Sorry Mate - I somehow missed your post! I'll try to answer your questions now though.

Re "but when you are working in WS and you go to save your scene, do you save as the old .scn". I did this at first thinking the more saved versions I had the more backup I had. What I found however was that I simply never needed to use the .scn version because by reloading the .RsScn version from the workspace the modelside copy of the scene was updated just fine and saving it again as a modelside .scn file was just redundant.

The way I figure it is this: The old .scn format does not contain all the information required by the .RsScn format whereas the .RsScn format contains all the information for both formats! Understanding this will help you to get better consistency from your use of the Bridge - and I suspect that lack of understanding of this important point lies behind a lot of the frustration many people feel about the bridge.

One thing that I should mention is that whenever I turn the bridge back on and I get the scene syncronisation dialog I ALWAYS sync from the WorkSpace.

There are probably situations where this technique won't work such as when you want to use modelside animated textures for renderiing in LightWorks but for making stable .obj models for use elsewhere I've yet to be let down by the using the workflow described above.

I use Boolean Operations quite often - they have a bad rep with some folk but the secret is to always check the common geometry and tidy up extra vertices the boolean process may create. Generally speaking it's better to do one complex boolean op on a mesh than it is to do a series of simpler ones. When simply subtracting a cube from a cube to make a frame your Booleans ops should be fine but where the geometry does not intersect cleanly tS will add extra vertices to allow it to solve the Boolean calculations - these extra vertexes mean untidy meshes that cause unneccessarily large object files and these can create problems for later subdivision ops and UV assignment.

I just make it a matter of course to rebuild the intersection sections of the mesh after any Boolean op if it's required. I've done Boolean Subtractions of complex shapes from complex shapes that have resulted in meshes with more than twice the original number of vertices of both objects - I've had a post Boolean mesh with over 4000 vertices which, after tidying up from the Subtraction have less than half that amount.

Re the Glue as Sibling thing - that's probably something for a whole new thread but briefly, when making a complex model I will use boolean object union on non-touching objects (eg on a model sailing ship all of the cannons would be booleaned into one single cannon object, on a castle all the window frames would be a single object and so forth). Boolean Union of non-touching objects always work fine. I aim for any large object I have made to have no more than a dozen subobjects. Those subobjects NEVER have their own subobjects as tS works far more efficiently with a shallow (one layer) hierarchy of complex objects than it does with a deeply nested hierarchy of simple objects.

For more on this refer to the appendix in the Manual called "The Seal Of Good Modelling" written by Tom Grimes. Understanding the significance of how to best structure your object hierarchies will save (and your computer) a lot of effort later on.

Re: "Reading this thread something tells me I could be going about it all wrong...". Chuckles!! The way I see is, if it works it can't be wrong! Having said that by learning to optimise your meshes, hierarchies and workflows you can save yourself a lot of extra work - I see it not n terms of Right Way or Wrong way but in terms of efficiency - what is the most efficient way to achieve my specific goals?

For example if I'm using tS to whip up a quick 3d graphic for my website I don't care if it's got a zillion extra unnecessary vertexes - but if I'm building a model for animation or to add to a very large scene then efficiency becomes so much more important.

HTH and apologies again for the delay in getting back to you!
Image WHERE MAGICK HAPPENS!!